anyweb

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) ?

have you tried backing up the db, then upgrade SQL from SQL 2008 to SQL 2014sp1, then do a new backup & do a restore to the new hardware/os.

I have two drives setup on my server, C:\ ("System" drive) of course and E:\ (SCCM). Is it best practice to install SCCM to its own drive or install to the default, C:\Program Files\...? Just curious what most do when installing. Thank you!

take a look at the following link, it references System Center Configuration Manager 2012 but the same rules apply here

"For the best performance, place each object on a separate, dedicated RAID volume. For all data volumes (Configuration Manager and its database files), use RAID 10 for the best performance."

I really enjoy these walk troughs, Great!

However, after sever trials and tribulations reading and adjusting to my infrastructure constraints, I have discovered that the ‘DeploymentConfigTemplate_WSUS.xml’ needed to be adjusted. I was being plagued with the server needed to be rebooted error when attempting to install WSUS.

So I tried to parse and read the ‘DeploymentConfigTemplate_WSUS.xml’ and since I do not currently know of an editor for these type template files, I had to walk through, recreate and compare.

I discovered that the WID (Windows Internal Database) was causing the issue. Due to the fact we are installing to a full SQL server build, we do not need the WID. For some reason even if you unselect the ‘WID Database’ option in role services, it does not uncheck the Feature installation of WID.

So you have to go back and uncheck the ‘Windows Internal Database’ in the Features list.

interesting because it's not configured after running the script and I too am using SQL to host the WSUS DB.

wid.png

and here's the SQL SUSDB which is in use

susdb.png

were you seeing otherwise ? what version of Windows Server 2012 R2 did you run the script on ?

Great guide as usual. I downloaded the latest Technical Preview and then used this guide to get it all setup. It seems to be functioning however it's not creating the boundaries nor is it finding any of the other computers on my network. Any ideas what I might have done wrong? I've checked the firewall GPO. I suspect the problem is that none of the other computers have any SCCM related user accounts.

All and any comments greatly appreciated.

WD

Great guide as usual.

thanks !

I downloaded the latest Technical Preview and then used this guide to get it all setup. It seems to be functioning however it's not creating the boundaries nor is it finding any of the other computers on my network. Any ideas what I might have done wrong? I've checked the firewall GPO. I suspect the problem is that none of the other computers have any SCCM related user accounts.

All and any comments greatly appreciated.

WD

this is not the technical preview guide, for that see the guides below:

but as regards boundaries and discovery please review these posts

lastly for an index of System Center Configuration Manager Current Branch guides, see this link

I'm having an odd problem. When the Prereq check runs, I'm getting a fail on SQL TCP port. As far as I can tell I have TCP port is specified (1433) and enabled, I have the firewall rules. I'm not sure what I'm missing. I'm going to try to reinstall SQL and see what happens. Has anyone else seen this yet?

Update!: So I'm an idiot and downloaded a SQL 2014 x86 instead of x64. Installing x64 solved my problem.