Phylum

Device Collection for Unattended/Attended Systems

Is it possible for ConfigMgr to determine whether or not a machine is attended or unattended?

Attended: One or more users is logged into it, be it physically or via RDP. The machine may be actively being used (e.g.: user is doing something) OR it may just be locked (e.g.: user locked the workstation before going to lunch)

Unattended: Machine is powered up and no users are logged into it; Presumably sitting at the login screen.

If so, what would the query look like?

There are several possible scripted solutions online but I was hoping to tap into a built-in SCCM attribute class/attribute pair to retrieve this information on demand versus executing a script to crawl AD and query machines individually.

Thanks for the reply GarthMJ. I updated the original post but in short

Attended: One or more users is logged into it, be it physically or via RDP. The machine may be actively being used (e.g.: user is doing something) OR it may just be locked (e.g.: user locked the workstation before going to lunch)

Unattended: Machine is powered up and no users are logged into it; Presumably sitting at the login screen.

I cant be sure but you can probably harness the "System Console Usage" or similar hardware inventory information to get you what you want. The downside being that its "stored" information from a database rather than "live" real time info.

Occasionally i need to deploy software silently and due to the complexity of the applications i prefer that nobody is logged on (unattended). To do this i add a few lines of code to my app/package which scans if a user is logged on. If nobody is logged on the install proceeds. If a user is logged on the the install fails with whatever exit code i set. Not the most efficient way of doing things i know.

Have you considered the built in option to run a install "when no user is logged on"