nhottinger

Issues with boot images

I just got 6 dell optiplex 7040 and 1 micro and it uses the Intel Ethernet Connection I219-LM. I added the WinPE 5.0 and those successfully were added to the Boot Image x86 and x64. The system will start the boot process in Bios and goes to the screen were I can press F12 to the sccm 2012 splash screen and it goes blank right before entering the password set up in my manager. I have tried fresh image with no drivers and only installing the I2I9-LM, tried using winpe 5.0 and winpe 10.0 and nothing. I even dism and injected the drivers successfully to the boot.wim and the import that to sccm and still nothing. I have downloaded the network cd from intel to add the drivers and used the drivers cab from dell and nothing.

I am running SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU3 with Windows 10 ADK 10.0.10586.0.

It seems also that the same issue is happening with the same nic card on my cf-311 models from panasonic as well.

Had similar issues with E5470's and E7270's.

You need to get the Windows 10 NIC driver for these models if running ADK10 and inject these drivers into your ADK 10 boot files!

It will more than likely present itself as a 1217-LM driver when imported, just make sure to update the boot files to the DPs afterwards.

With the E series laptops as above there was only 64bit Windows 10 drivers available from the Dell Cab website so I have to use the 64bit boot file for deployment on these models.

Below are the drivers that worked. These models once in the OS and device manager showed they were 1219-LM driver's needed but as mentioned once the W10 NIC was imported it presented itself as 1217-LM driver! So I guess Bottom line is depending on what version of ADK you are running depends on what OS flavour of drivers you need to inject into your Wim files!

1219-LM.JPG

Tried what you recommended rocket, when and got a new boot.wim from the adk 10 and injected only the I2I7-LM drivers from WinPE listed on the dell websites in cabs and still the 7040 is canceling the boot image process right before when prompted to enter password. All other machines pxe boot just fine. So far I am having problems on the panasonic CF-311 models and these dell optiplex 7040 models.

I got the network driver from the Windows 10 driver pack for the model, not the WinPE 10.0 cab files on the website.

Have you tried this?

This is the pack you need to download, find the network driver from the network folder, best way to find this is load up a 7040 go into device manager and select network adapter, properties and driver details and take note of .sys file needed and search the downloaded network folder for this driver. Import all from the folder you source it in into adk 10 boot file

BTW just asking, by any chance is the date and time not correct in BIOS, this will cause the same symptom also with the reboots.

check the bios clock and it's correct. downloaded the network drivers and injected them using dsim to the winpe.win and the system still doesnt get to the login screen to input the password. I even /recurse using dsim all of the network drivers for this specific model and still nothing.

Can I ask why you are using DISM outside of SCCM to import the drivers into the boot files?

Also your version of SCCM is same as the one I am working at currently bar the CU level but you have ADK 10.0.10586 which is 1511 version.

Did you follow Niall's blog here to do this upgrade where all appropriate downloads are available to get it to SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 level.

The ADK on this site I currently working at is ADK 10.0.26624 RTM version, this is the ADK available from the upgrade blog and it states to use this version of ADK as there are bugs in the 1511 version. Perhaps this is your problem?

Ok I created new boot images from the ADK that you mentioned ans just added the drivers through sccm 2012 r2 cu3 and the same results as before. right before when prompted to enter password that part on the menu doesn't not show up. the drivers that were added were directly from the dell optiplex 7040 network drivers. I tried to add only the I2I9-LM and also with adding all of them and both results were the same.

Ok I finally got it to work with the I2I7-LM cards on optiplex 7040. My issue was that the link of the ADK that you gave me rocket had a different version of the RTM that you listed. I deleted that ADK and had to search for the RTM version you listed and added to sccm 2012 R2 CU3. At first I was getting that I couldn't add the boot image due to not finalized but once I completed the copype cmd with the ADK tools, I was able to get it to work. After completed, I used sccm 2012 to inject only the I2I7-LM driver from direct optiplex 7040 network folder and the computer was able to boot properly and went to the password option and beyond. I am testing the rest of the process to make sure I get a full complete process but I believe we got it.

for future reference for those having problems with I2I7-LM card computers I used:

BOOT Image both x86 and x64 : 10.0.26624.0 RTM OS Version 10.0.10240.16384

I2I7-LM Drivers : 12.13.17.4 INF file E1D65x64.inf

Tested on SCCM 2012 R2 CU3

Thanks for the help Rocket-Man. I was able to get a lot more done this way.

• Like 1