George

Install fonts with GPO

Question

It's me again! :D

In Windows XP it's enough to copy font file from any location to C:\Windows\Fonts with bat file to make any application work with this font. In GPO for windows 7 I have tried to use Computer Configuration\Preferences\WIndows Settings\Files setting to do the same but Windows 7 can't recognize new font even it is copied to C:\Windows\Fonts folder with GPO. Anyone know what is my mistake?

:)

1 answer to this question

It's me again! :D

In Windows XP it's enough to copy font file from any location to C:\Windows\Fonts with bat file to make any application work with this font. In GPO for windows 7 I have tried to use Computer Configuration\Preferences\WIndows Settings\Files setting to do the same but Windows 7 can't recognize new font even it is copied to C:\Windows\Fonts folder with GPO. Anyone know what is my mistake?

:)

The solution is:

1. Copy fonts files to C:\Windows\Fonts with GPO or computer startup script.

2. Add this registry entries with GPO:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]

"Font name"="file.name"

"Font2 name"="file2.name"

Example:

if not exist %systemroot%\fonts\FRG55__C.ttf xcopy /y FRG55__C.ttf %systemroot%\fonts\

if not exist %systemroot%\fonts\FRG56__C.ttf xcopy /y FRG56__C.ttf %systemroot%\fonts\

if not exist %systemroot%\fonts\FRG75__C.ttf xcopy /y FRG75__C.ttf %systemroot%\fonts\

if not exist %systemroot%\fonts\FRG76__C.ttf xcopy /y FRG76__C.ttf %systemroot%\fonts\

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]

"FranklinGothicBookCTT (TrueType)"="FRG55__C.ttf"

"FranklinGothicBookCTT Italic (TrueType)"="FRG56__C.ttf"

"FranklinGothicDemiCTT (TrueType)"="FRG75__C.ttf"

"FranklinGothicDemiCTT Italic (TrueType)"="FRG76__C.ttf"