Red3Recon

Strange request...safe mode...kinda sorta

I have a bunch of systems that have a service set to disabled that needs to be set to automatic and have tested this problem 3 ways to Sunday. Tried GPO, powershell, manual remote regedit....none work, all get access denied. The only fix is to manually boot into safe mode, set the service to automatic and then boot back into windows, works like a champ. Problem is I can't go around to that many systems. If anyone can think of a way I could get the same result using SCCM I would appreciate it. I tried a task sequence and booted into WinPE and ran a "reg add" command to change the service start from 4 to 2 but did not know it was even possible to do that and although the TS log says it was successful it did not make the changes. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

After re-reading your reply about the "system" account....I am not sure how you would specifically us that account, I am still a SCCM n00b. The closest I have gotten to fixing this is creating a task sequence and booting into PE and using a REG LOAD command to open the system hive with a temp name, and then use REG ADD commands to modify the service to 2 (auto vice 4 disabled) I am also changing the fax service as a control. In the TS log it says those commands are successful yet the changes are not retained through reboot so I added a REG UNLOAD command at the end and it left my test systems unbootable, they blue screen-reboot......I suck.

Thanks for that link, that is interesting. As the article points out, SCCM uses the system account and I have tried 3 different ways with SCCM to try to alter that service and while the fax (my control service) works all three ways, the service that I get "access denied" to locally also gets access denied from SCCM. The only way we have found is safe mode and then, all of the accounts work.

Thanks for that link, that is interesting. As the article points out, SCCM uses the system account and I have tried 3 different ways with SCCM to try to alter that service and while the fax (my control service) works all three ways, the service that I get "access denied" to locally also gets access denied from SCCM. The only way we have found is safe mode and then, all of the accounts work.

If it will not work using the Local System account, then you have no other choice but to preform this task manually on each computer.

I would suggest, contact AVG and talk to their support about how to fix this.