Sypher

Reinstallation requests

Question

Hi,

Since SCCM isn't really working for me I decided to create my own.

After a few hours of scripting, my unattended system deployment software is finished and working perfectly.

There is only one downside: if Network is the first boot device, it keeps on reinstalling.

Is there a way to make WDS send an AbortPXE to the clients that do not require a reinstallation?

I'd like to have an option to select the computers that have to be reinstalled.

Is this possible with plain WDS?

3 answers to this question

The computers can be both new (unknown) as already existing in the the AD, but installed using a different technique.

Basicly they are already "managed", but I cannot figure out how to abort the PXE boot.

My Google-searches aren't producing any viable results either, but it should be possible since SCCM and possible other WDS-based installation systems are doing it.

My guess is that it can be solved with BINL, but how? No clue :(

Ok, I kind-of got it to work. From the WDS server you can change the boot program from pxeboot.n12 (or pxeboot.com) to abortpxe.com (or the n12 one :))

However, I'm looking for a way to do let the WDS server change that specific setting after it booted the client for the first time. Any ideas on how i can archieve that?