Drekko

All Windows 7 Systems Query not working

Hey guys

I have created 3 queries:

Discover All Systems with Windows 10 installed

Discover All Systems with Windows 8 installed

Discover All systems with Windows 7 installed

The first query I made from scratch was the Windows 10 query and I imported that query for Windows 8 and 7 and just changed the Criterion Properites Value to %Windows 7%

The Windows 10 and 8 queries are working fine, so I dont understand why the windows 7 query will not pick up any Windows 7 machines

This is a home lab for learning and I definitely have a Windows 7 machine running my config manager even pushed out the client to that machine without issues

Is there anything wrong with my query even though it works for Windows 10 and 8 machines?

Check attachment for my query

post-32642-0-63921600-1452170693.png

post-32642-0-25263500-1452170796.png

FWIW, we use the criterion "System Resource - Operating System Name and Version" and check that it's equal to "Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.1"

It's been so long, I don't remember the reasoning, but I want to say it's because the Operating System - Caption doesn't get populated until a hardware inventory cycle runs and returns info from (WMI on the?) the client, whereas the System Resource category gets populated as soon as the client reports in to a server. If anyone can verify, that might be useful info.

If I set up a collection with your parameters, it's missing about 50 systems that are/were out in our environment; those systems do show up in the collection built on the System Resource criterion.

You need to give us more details, Why do you think it is not working right? what is listed for the caption on the Windows 7 computer? is the CM12 client installed on the Windows 7 computer?

Sorry how do I check the caption on the Windows 7 computer? Can you please explain how I check this ( still learning sccm)

Yes the Client is definently installed on the windows 7 computer

FWIW, we use the criterion "System Resource - Operating System Name and Version" and check that it's equal to "Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.1"

It's been so long, I don't remember the reasoning, but I want to say it's because the Operating System - Caption doesn't get populated until a hardware inventory cycle runs and returns info from (WMI on the?) the client, whereas the System Resource category gets populated as soon as the client reports in to a server. If anyone can verify, that might be useful info.

If I set up a collection with your parameters, it's missing about 50 systems that are/were out in our environment; those systems do show up in the collection built on the System Resource criterion.

Do you use "is equal to" "Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.1" criterion only for Windows 7 systems?

Sorry how do I check the caption on the Windows 7 computer? Can you please explain how I check this ( still learning sccm)

Yes the Client is definently installed on the windows 7 computer

As pointed out by JayBone, look within resource explorer for what is listed within the caption field.

Do you use "is equal to" "Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.1" criterion only for Windows 7 systems?

Yep. I suppose you could just use a LIKE compare, too. E.g. LIKE %Workstation 6.1%

Strings for others would be:

Workstation 6.3 = Windows 8.1

Workstation 6.2 = Windows 8

%Windows%10.0 = Windows 10 - I forget why we used a wildcard, maybe because the edition's in there?

Keep in mind that the Caption filed should always say the "real" OS name, whereas the "Operation System Name and Version" attribute on the computer will give you OS Version. see the screenshot for the difference.

WN.png