gmandar

The Windows-noob OSD Guides for ConfigMgr 2012 R2 - LabSetup

Hi Everyone,

Happy new Year to Everyone...

I had recently brought the book The Windows-noob OSD Guides for ConfigMgr 2012 R2 by Niall Brady.

Great book to start with.Thanks a ton..

I am having stupid question which I can't resist to ask regarding Internet access in Lab Setup. I am having Windows 10 Pro with Hyper-V enabled for Lab setup.

The issue is the Hydration Kit uses the IP address range of 192.168.1.XXX

And I am having Wi-Fi Dongle for internet which also provided internet with IP same IP range because of which I can't access internet inside VM while I am testing and unfortunately I can't change that.

Because of which I can't test SCCM 2012 Software Update or other topic which needs Internet access while working in LAB.

I am using Vyos Router as suggested in book but becaise of conflicting IP range unable to get internet access inside LAB.

Any help is greatly appreciated.......

Thanks and Regards:

Mandy

• Like 1

my advice would be to simply change the range from 192.168.1.xxx to something else like 192.168.2.xxx

after all you don't have too many machines to deal with right ? DC+CM+MBAM+virtual machines....

i can help you with it if you want (teamviewer)

thanks for buying my book ! :-)

Hello.

I as well recently brought the book off of Amazon called The Windows-noob OSD Guides for ConfigMgr 2012 R2 by Niall Brady. I learned of the Book after attending the last AZSMUG event at Interface Technical Training in Phoenix AZ where I watched 2 very informative and well done presentations by Mike Terril and Johan Arwidmark and at that time I was told about the books and the use of Hydration kits to create home labs so I can get experience and practice for certification.

I went right home and purchased your your Book and a 1TB SSD and have a system ready to go with 32GB of RAM. I am running Windows 10 Enterprise and I continuously run into issues with the scripts and getting the Hydration Kit installs to go smoothly and was hoping I could ask a question about my latest issue.

At the following location in the book - Page 415 Step 4 - When I run the "CreateHydrationDeploymentShare.ps1" I get the following red output in my PS window and I am not able to see any deployment shares created in the Deployment Workbench that matches the screenshot in the book on Step 5.

New-Item : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'enable'.

At C:\HydrationNoob\Source\CreateHydrationDeploymentShare.ps1:33 char:31
Directory: C:\HydrationNoob
Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
---- ------------- ------ ----
d----- 1/7/2017 10:04 AM DS
add-MDTPersistentDrive : The term 'add-MDTPersistentDrive' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script
file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct
and try again.
At C:\HydrationNoob\Source\CreateHydrationDeploymentShare.ps1:30 char:173
+ ... \$MDTServer\HydrationNoob$" -Verbose | add-MDTPersistentDrive -Verbos ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (add-MDTPersistentDrive:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
Directory: C:\HydrationNoob\ISO\Content
Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
---- ------------- ------ ----
d----- 1/7/2017 10:04 AM Deploy
New-Item : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'enable'.
At C:\HydrationNoob\Source\CreateHydrationDeploymentShare.ps1:33 char:31
+ new-item -path "DS001:\Media" -enable "True" -Name "MEDIA001" -Commen ...
+ ~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: ( :) [New-Item], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewItemCommand
New-PSDrive : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'Force'.
At C:\HydrationNoob\Source\CreateHydrationDeploymentShare.ps1:34 char:141
+ ... ntent\Deploy" -Description "Hydration CM2012 R2 Media" -Force -Verbos ...
+ ~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: ( :) [New-PSDrive], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewPSDriveCommand

If you had some free time to assist me with how to best get past this issue so I can get the lab setup I would be extremely grateful for your time.

Thank you

thanks for buying my book, i really appreciate it !

the first error is in line 33, this line

new-item -path "DS001:\Media" -enable "True" -Name "MEDIA001" -Comments "" -Root "C:\HydrationNoob\ISO" -SelectionProfile "Everything" -SupportX86 "False" -SupportX64 "True" -GenerateISO "True" -ISOName "HydrationNoob.iso" -Verbose

so did you install MDT 2013 as per the previous step ?

if you cannot solve it i'm happy to do a teamviewer session with you and help you fix it

cheers

niall

Hello and thank you for relying back so quickly. I was not expecting this level of assistance and fast response times.

Yes, I installed the MDT 2013 in the order that was instructed in the book. I did this right after running the ADK for 8.1.

I would be happy to let you TeamViewer in to my machine and take a look.

<removed login details>

Edited by anyweb
please dont paste login details publically

hi i've removed you login details you should ever post anything like that publicly, anyhow i'm online now (I'm in Europe, Sweden) so GMT+1,

send me a mail when you are online and i'll try and connect, i'll pm you my address

Hello.

On page 15 Item 2 it states that the DC01 should have a ViaMonstra/Users OU. I am not seeing this in my AD Tree on DC01 and I have removed and rehydrated the DC01 Server 3 times now to no avail. I do not get any errors and the Hydration is saying it completes with no issues.

Can you assist with correcting this?

Thank you