deletejunkemail

SCCM 2012 MDT - Task Sequece Question

Hello Folks,

Long time Windows Noob fan, first time poster...

I have a question about a Task Sequence in SCCM with MDT...

So when creating a TS via MDT, you'll have that nice wizard that helps you out and I could not find anything that would define when to create a new XYZ Package and when to reuse it or not reuse it in another SCCM MDT Task Sequence...

1. Create MDT Task Sequence > Boot Image Step > you have a choice to use an existing one or create a new one... Since I only have the stock SCCM Boot images, i do want to make an MDT boot image for x86 and x64...
    - Can I use these MDT Boot Images for another TS, if yes, when would i want to create another set of MDT Boot Images x86 and x64?
    post-32964-0-98879300-1454362980.png
  2. Create MDT Task Sequence > MDT Package Step > you have a choice to use an existing or create a new one. When you create a new one, the folders at the given UNC Path look like as if it is a new deployment share which you would use for WorkBench.
    - Can I use this MDT Package for another TS, if yes, when would i want to create another set of MDT Packages? Also, what is the best practices for naming convention or organization?
    post-32964-0-43549400-1454362981.png

3. Create MDT Task Sequence > CustomSettings.ini Step > again, you have a choice to use an existing or create a new one. Since i dont have one, i'd create a new one but when would you want to reuse it and when would you want to create a brand new one?
    post-32964-0-67158400-1454362981.png

For all 3, i feel like if i make a new anything, i should make a new folder though i'm not quite sure what the best folder plan is for organization would be.

Thank you for any help, i really do appreciate it!

Hello Folks,

Long time Windows Noob fan, first time poster...

I have a question about a Task Sequence in SCCM with MDT...

So when creating a TS via MDT, you'll have that nice wizard that helps you out and I could not find anything that would define when to create a new XYZ Package and when to reuse it or not reuse it in another SCCM MDT Task Sequence...

1. Create MDT Task Sequence > Boot Image Step > you have a choice to use an existing one or create a new one... Since I only have the stock SCCM Boot images, i do want to make an MDT boot image for x86 and x64...

- Can I use these MDT Boot Images for another TS, if yes, when would i want to create another set of MDT Boot Images x86 and x64?

attachicon.gifBoot.png

2. Create MDT Task Sequence > MDT Package Step > you have a choice to use an existing or create a new one. When you create a new one, the folders at the given UNC Path look like as if it is a new deployment share which you would use for WorkBench.

- Can I use this MDT Package for another TS, if yes, when would i want to create another set of MDT Packages? Also, what is the best practices for naming convention or organization?

attachicon.gifMDT CustomSettings.png

3. Create MDT Task Sequence > CustomSettings.ini Step > again, you have a choice to use an existing or create a new one. Since i dont have one, i'd create a new one but when would you want to reuse it and when would you want to create a brand new one?

attachicon.gifMDT Files Package.png

For all 3, i feel like if i make a new anything, i should make a new folder though i'm not quite sure what the best folder plan is for organization would be.

Thank you for any help, i really do appreciate it!

welcome !

1. yes, but it should be an mdt integrated task sequence. The only time you'd want to recreate the mdt boot images is when changing MDT version (mdt 2013 update 1 to update 2 for example) or changing ADK version or when wanting to revert the mdt boot images to how they were before they got bloated with drivers or scripts.

2. when you create new task sequences you absolutely can re-use the MDT Toolkit and MDT Settings packages, as regards the naming convention something like this is what I use

\\sources\os\mdt\mdt 2013 update 2\

_____________________________\MDT Toolkit

_____________________________\MDT Settings

as described here

but it's entirely up to you how they should be created.

3. use the default one if you are not using any of the facilities it provides, otherwise download many sample customsettings.ini from the MDT pro's like Mikael Nystrom and Johan Arwidmark, they have plenty of example blog posts to help you with that

Wow! I'm privileged that you have responded to my post! Love your website as it has helped me more than any resource i've found so far!

I appreciate the response which i understand now how things flow and that the MDT Toolkit Package and MDT Settings can be reused by other Task Sequences.

Since there is only one folder for scripts that contain the ...\Scripts\UDIWizard_Config.xml, how would I make sure that my next Task Sequence's UDIWizard_Config doesnt overwrite or how do i know which UDI File is for my next Task Sequece?