Lagamorph

Options missing when adding Software Update Point

Hi guys,

We've deployed a new server into our SCCM infrastructure which currently has the following roles installed,

Component Server

Distribution Point

Management Point

Site System

And we would like to add it as a Software Update Point for some specific servers.

When we run the wizard to add the Software Update Point role though, we're missing a lot of the options that are supposed to be present, such as Synchronization Source. The wizard only gives us the below,

QhFHkSJ.jpg

When what we believe we should be getting is something more like this,

4139-9.png

We've installed SQL and the WSUS role on the server, so seem to have all the pre-requisites.

If we complete the wizard then it seems to complete successfully, but we can't seem to configure any of the SUP role options for the server.

The SCCM version is R2 SP1. Site version is 5.00.8239.1000 and Console Version is 5.0.8239.1206

Does anyone know why these options might be missing?

Is it possible we have some services on the server not running that are required? Or is there a pre-requisite that's been missed?

I can open that menu yes. So if those settings are configured then it means that they'll override all SUP settings for the entire site and so we can't/don't need to configure options for individual Software Update Points? So therefore we don't even see the options when installing the role to a new server?

Yes, I think this new SUP will have the same configuration. But isn't that the all idea?

Edit:

This is a component for your site. If you add more roles, the component is still the same. The configuration will propagate the same way for each server that runs that role. :)

I'm not sure that is possible! Even if you change the configuration in the WSUS, your ConfigMgr will override that configuration. If you have sites with specific configurations than you might need to rethink your environment.

But you can always do this:

Setup WSUS that sync with Microsoft Updates - you don't add this server to your ConfigMgr environment;

Configure your site to download from your internal wsus;

Only one server is going online to download updates. Could be this your solution? :)

It's indeed expected that with any additional Software Update Point, you can't configure those settings. Every additional Software Update Point will automatically use the first Software Update Point as up-stream server and will use the same configuration for categories, products, etc.

I'm not sure that is possible! Even if you change the configuration in the WSUS, your ConfigMgr will override that configuration. If you have sites with specific configurations than you might need to rethink your environment.

But you can always do this:

Setup WSUS that sync with Microsoft Updates - you don't add this server to your ConfigMgr environment;

Configure your site to download from your internal wsus;

Only one server is going online to download updates. Could be this your solution? :)

It's indeed expected that with any additional Software Update Point, you can't configure those settings. Every additional Software Update Point will automatically use the first Software Update Point as up-stream server and will use the same configuration for categories, products, etc.

Ah right, so we wouldn't need to change the environment? As long as the original SUP can sync with Microsoft Update (which it can as we've been using it for a while), the new SUP will automatically sync from that one directly and doesn't require internet access. Is that correct?

To store updates will it just use the WSUS local storage that was configured during the installation of the WSUS role?

The location specified here,

4139-4.png?w=523

Yes - I guess that would be the best approach and not have to change your current configuration. Just setup one WSUS (not a role nor part your ConfigMgr environment), setup with the proper settings and you are done.

Change your site settings to sync from the WSUS that is not part of your ConfigMgr configuration...

From Peter's post I got the impression that I wouldn't need to configure a separate WSUS server outside of the SCCM environment. I read his post as saying that my new SUP would just sync from the first deployed SUP automatically. WSUS is just a required role installation on a SUP server isn't it? The role is installed, but WSUS is not configured on it (ie the WSUS Configuration Wizard has never been run)