jrpritchard

Best Practices for Migration/Upgrade from SCOM 2007 to 2012 R2

Question

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has experience in the field in migrating SCOM 2007 to SCOM 2012 R2.

I understand there are effectively 2 methodologies: in-place or standalone upgrade.

But apart from exporting/importing Management Packs, what other areas need be to looked at?
How can you tell if an MP is using unsupported features in 2012?

Looking forward to hearing any experiences you can provide. Thank you :-)

1 answer to this question

I haven't performed an upgrade, but to my knowledge you can't go directly from 2007 - 2012 R2. I think you have to go from 2007 -> 2012 -> 2012 R2. So it might be easier to stand up a new installation of SCOM 2012 R2, and multi-home your Agents.

There are several things you have to keep in mind though, like:

• Any MP overrides have to be exported from the current environment, and imported to the new one
  • Any DAs that have been created (which should be in their own MP) also need to be exported/imported
  • 3rd party integrations (i.e. SCSM, Tivoli, SolarWinds, etc.) have to be re-configured

There aren't any "unsupported" features in an MP. Especially if you're going from older to newer. Keep in mind that there will be new versions of MPs, some of which will be re-written to support the new features/functionality of SCOM 2012 R2. All 2007 MPs should work, but I'd check for newer/updated MPs if possible.