BzowK

Site System Design Verification - Am I Crazy?

Hey Guys / Niall -

I recently started in a new position to help implement and advise on SCCM 2012 (1511) as well as the setup of all features including converting them from using imaging to OSD, Application deployment, Software Updates, etc - at least all the basics except for Forefront. Quite a task, but sounds fun to me. I learned something today which I'm questioning so wanted to post and get opinions.

I've implemented SCCM in about 5 production environments before and for each one; have had at least a distribution point at each local site. If a site didn't have one; it was understood that they would only experience limited support. Today, I found out that our multiple point site will only have a total of 3 DPs - and - they were told this would be ok by Microsoft - even for using OSD at each one.

Microsoft's Recommended Plan

The ~30 locations are spread out around the country. Each of these 30 locations connects to one of 3 datacenters via various speeds of connection like T1, 500k, (some fast, some really slow). I was told that "Microsoft advised" that it would be ok for them to create a distribution site (they are actually doing secondary sites) in each of the 3 datacenters. The primary server (4th site server) is offsite from the corporate office in a datacenter that we have a 100mb connection to.

Overall

I understand that having a 100mb connection to the primary may not be the worst thing ever for doing something like OSD if only running 1-2 at a time, but cannot imagine supporting OSD at all 30 of these locations with the setup above - even with BranchCache - not to mention all other services.

So - what are your thoughts? Am I just crazy to think this or do you believe we have a problem on our hands? Thanks Guys!

Hi Bzowk

What MSFT recommends is the following:

- if you have a remote site where you have to control your network bandwidth, then a secondary-site might be a good solution;

for reading: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712320.aspx

If you have a DP in each site, and all data is replicated, you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure you don't "distribute content" :)

Thanks for the reply -

I guess it's just a big change from the environment I'm used to. This morning I created an IEAK IE11 installer which was 160mb on my workstation. When copying it to the source share on the primary (to create an Application) it took about 90 seconds. Just used to it taking about 2. What I don't understand is how OSD and larger apps are going to work well (plus have the perfomance they expect) in this environment.

Also, you said "Make sure you don't "distribute content"". To any of the 3 total DPs? Whatchoo talkin about Willis? (For those unfamilier, a reference to an 80's show: Different Strokes)

Thanks

Thanks for the reply -

I guess it's just a big change from the environment I'm used to. This morning I created an IEAK IE11 installer which was 160mb on my workstation. When copying it to the source share on the primary (to create an Application) it took about 90 seconds. Just used to it taking about 2. What I don't understand is how OSD and larger apps are going to work well (plus have the perfomance they expect) in this environment.

Also, you said "Make sure you don't "distribute content"". To any of the 3 total DPs? Whatchoo talkin about Willis? (For those unfamilier, a reference to an 80's show: Different Strokes)

Thanks

What I meant was... Don't redistribute content many times, because the packages or programs will be distributed to your DPs and sites... (unless you really need it... )

If you start a TS and the content is already distributed in all sites, then the traffic that you will see between your client (that is running the TS) is connecting to your MP and Primary site.... You can always schedule the moment that your DPs can distribute the content and I think you can also create priorities:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712321.aspx

Have a nice weekend! :)

you can also prestage the content and send a hard disc (usb or whatever) by traditional methods to stage the content on your remote dp's, just a thought.