Question

Hi,

We currently have a SCCM 2008r2 Primary Site Server (physical server) which has no SCCM updates installed since it has been built.

I want to build a new Hyper-V VM, install Windows server 2012r2 and mirror the SCCM 2008r2 Primary Site Server with a view to replace the physical server.

This will then allow us to create a full SCCM configuration backup, snapshot the new 2012r2 Primary Site Server before applying all the cumulative updates and update the server to the latest revision.

I have searched around and found an article whereby I do the above and i'll need to do a Recovery..

All help appreciated.

Cheers

Adi

4 answers to this question

So unless your CM12 is a single server (aka SQL and Primary site on the same VM) I wouldn't even look at VM snapshots. If they are and you are preforming a full CM12 backup then you are good. I have used this before but there are caveats with clients that you will have to watch out for. Aka force full inventories on all clients.