DPB

Slow DNS after migration to Windows 2012

OK, so I have a project where I'm migrating two Windows 2003 servers on which run Active Directory, DNS, DFS, and IAS/NPS. I've set everything up according to various guides and made one of the new Win 2012 servers the Operations Master for everything. The two Windows 2003 servers were turned off today to test.

All of it works fine, except name resolution with DNS is very, very slow and sometimes times out. Could this be because we haven't demoted the two Windows 2003 servers? Is there anything else I should check?

OK, so I have a project where I'm migrating two Windows 2003 servers on which run Active Directory, DNS, DFS, and IAS/NPS. I've set everything up according to various guides and made one of the new Win 2012 servers the Operations Master for everything. The two Windows 2003 servers were turned off today to test.

All of it works fine, except name resolution with DNS is very, very slow and sometimes times out. Could this be because we haven't demoted the two Windows 2003 servers? Is there anything else I should check?

Have you checked using nslookup defining each server as a test?

Look up new domains so they wont get cached.

What are the response times and answers?