firstcom

Wake-on-LAN not working in SCCM only

Hi all,

I'm trying to get SCCM to work with it's internal "wake on LAN" functionality.

I have PCs that work with wake-on-LAN using other tools, such as the free tool from SolarWinds, but when I attempt to deploy something with Wake-on-LAN enabled in SCCM, it doesn't actually wake the PC up.

The configuration options in Site Properties are pretty limited and I didn't think this would be a complex thing to set up. I choose to enable WOL, enable wake-up packets only, and to send them via Unicast (the target group mostly uses static IPs) -- I did try subnet as well but it didn't work.

Reviewing logs, I checked wolmgr.log and wolcmgr.log. The only thing out of the ordinary that I notice is a line stating, "Warning: The xxx*.WKP file is missing wakeup instructions. This file will be ignored and deleted."

Anyone have any ideas??

Hi Firstcom,

Assuming that you're in a private network.

have you tried testing WOL in your network environment?

1. install WOL app
  2. send WOL packet to target machine using your PC
    • did this work?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680929.aspx

WOL via Unicast

• Switches must forward UDP packets, and not all switches are configured to do so by default.

WOL via Subnet Directed broadcast

• routers must be configured to forward subnet-directed broadcasts.
  • highly recommended you include the additional security measure of allowing only the Configuration Manager site server to send subnet-directed broadcast traffic using a non-default port number for the wake-up packets.

regards

ej

Hey ej!

In my prior post I explained that other apps like the SolarWinds WOL tool works fine - I was able to use it to wake up the same PC I am targeting with SCCM. It works with SolarWinds but not with SCCM. I've tried both Unicast and Subnet directed, and tried both UDP ports 9 and 7. No luck. :/

Any other ideas??

Hi Firstcom,

Assuming that you're in a private network.

have you tried testing WOL in your network environment?

1. install WOL app
  2. send WOL packet to target machine using your PC
    • did this work?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680929.aspx

WOL via Unicast

• Switches must forward UDP packets, and not all switches are configured to do so by default.

WOL via Subnet Directed broadcast

• routers must be configured to forward subnet-directed broadcasts.
  • highly recommended you include the additional security measure of allowing only the Configuration Manager site server to send subnet-directed broadcast traffic using a non-default port number for the wake-up packets.

regards

ej

Update: I tried installing Right Click Tools, and when I right click on a device and use it via that tool, it also works. However, it used a non-standard port. After updating the WOL config in the Site Properties to use the port that works with the Right Click Tools WOL tool, however, it still does not work during application or program deployments