tjwillians74

Small WIM File While Capturing 2008 R2 Server OS Reference in a VM

I've been trying to capture a reference image from a hyper-v VM off a 2008 R2 server OS. It seems I'm able to capture the image, but the WIM file seems very small. Its only about 8MB and that's not right. In SCCM where I imported it under Operating Systems Images and then view properties I see it listed under Select Images You Want To View as 1 - None where as in the past I've seen that section in 2012 R2 list 1-1 and 2-2. Not sure what I am missing here.

I'm running on a System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager SP1 with Windows ADK 8.1, and Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2012 Update 1.

I made the task sequence media ISO in SCCM and then went through the wizard in the 2008 R2 VM to create the WIM file.

I'm trying to see what I may have overlooked or if maybe there is a better way to make this WIM file and get it into SCCM Operating Systems?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi tjwillians74,

Were you using a capture media created in SCCM to capture your image?

Not exactly sure what is happening in your capture process, but here is a good material of doing a capture if you're unsure.

https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/5070-how-can-i-capture-an-image-using-capture-media-in-configmgr-2012/

cheers

ej

In SCCM 2012 I select the Create Task Sequence Media Wizard, Create Task Sequence Media, Capture Media (Creates media used to capture an OS deployment image from a reference computer), CD/DVD set to create the ISO, select a boot image (anything to look out for here, other than 32 bit or 64 bit?), select an existing distribution point, click next, finish. Once ISO is created, I copy it to where the reference 2008 R2 VMM can attach to it on its virtual drive, and launch the TSMBautorun.

Yes, I have gone through that article. :-)