Maestro

How to correctly write "shutdown workstations" package schedule?

Hello everyone!

I've wrote very simple script to shutdown Workstations. Then I've created the collection for certain OUs in domain and simply scheduled to deploy this script to collection as package at 22:00 :D . I've realized my mistake when some of these workstations rebooted at morning (they were powered down already).

So, what is the best way to do it right with SCCM? Should I schedule, i.e. the distribution of this package daily at 21:50 with deadline at 21:55 and create maintenance window for collection from 22:00 to 22:05? Will this work or there is more easier way?

I've found some articles about maintenance windows, but can not realize the clear algorithm for myself.

Thank you for your attention.

A good practice regarding maintenance window is to create a collection where you assign all the maintenance window. if you have several, or different ones, then you have to have several collections each with specific maintenance window. keep in mind that during that time computers will not run anything. I wouldn't create a collection where I define a deployment and a maintenance window... but that's me... :)

p.s. there is no relation between a collection where you define a program to run and a maintenance window. the maintenance window will applied to any application or package that you deploy using other collections.

Thank you very much! The key phrase is "the maintenance window will applied to any application or package that you deploy". Because in some manuals it was written that the maintenance windows support only "software updates, OS install, something else..." but not a word about package deployments. So I've wondered - could the shutdown will be done with package or should I create a Task Sequence for it.

Thanks again!

and also, review all the maximum time applications and package can run, otherwise they will mostly not run at all if they hit your MW. Example: if your package/application can have a maximum 120min and your MW will start in the next 90 min, then that package or application will mostly not run.

• Like 1

and also, review all the maximum time applications and package can run, otherwise they will mostly not run at all if they hit your MW. Example: if your package/application can have a maximum 120min and your MW will start in the next 90 min, then that package or application will mostly not run.

Thank you. I've made MW 30 minutes and time of package execution for 15 minutes (it's simple "shutdown.exe" with few options). And it seems to work great. Thank to everyone for answers.