jeaostro

How to install Lenovo Software and Drivers with Update Retriever and SCCM during OS deployment

Question

Here is my solution for Lenovo Computers:

1.Install and configure Lenovo Update Retriever on a server. Lenovo has good guides for this where you download the software.

2.Download Thininstaller

3.Create a software package that contains the thininstaller files(my software packages is the POC0002D below, this package contains all the thininstaller files) You can download Thininstaller from the same place that you download Update Retriever.

Then do the following in the OS deployment task:

1. Under "Install Software" in the OS Deployment task, create a command line task that has the following command line:

cmd.exe /c xcopy.exe \\SCCMSERVER1\SMSPKGE$\POC0002D\*.* c:\lenovo\thininstaller\ /E /D -> With timeout 5 minutes or so.

2.Create a new command line task that has the following command line:

cmd.exe /c thininstaller.exe /CM -search A -action INSTALL -noicon -includerebootpackages 1,2,3,4 -repository \\TVSU-Server\tvsu -> With timout 120 minutes if you like to.

The computers is deployed with all the Lenovo drivers and software you specified in the update retriever software.

If you get a new Lenovo Model, just add the model to Lenovo Update Retriever and download the drivers/software with this tool.

No need to add lenovo drivers or Lenovo software to sccm.

best regards.

jeaostro

Also in the "start in section" it should say: c:\lenovo\thininstaller\

Awesome thanks man

Ive been smashing it for the last 2 days and havent had much luck.

Ive got it to a point and wondering if anyone can shed some light .. im betting its easy but the coffee headache is preventing me from seeing it.

2 Tasks has been created as per screenshots

Both kick off and the TS goes through all ok.

I can see a c:\lenovo\thininstall folder .. so they are running.

When checking to see if the drivers have been installed, they havent.

So after much digging, I ran this on the workstation just to shortcut me rebuilding machines all the time for testing.

thininstaller.exe /CM -search C -action LIST

and I get the error - No packages applicable for your system were found.

The make and model of machine im using is a Lenovo MT-M 7359 -D7M

So back to Update retriever I go

In Update Retriever I can see I have a MT of 7359, OS of Windows 7 and Language of English

(Ive also done the same thing with a Lenovo Thinkstation E20 M222 25M, so there is something overall wrong here)

Ive checked the local logs on the machines in the c:\lenovo\thininstaller\logs\bla bla bla ...

After checking all of these I can see the following.

Info 2010-11-04 , 02:21:17

at Tvsu.Engine.Process.HelloProcess.Start()

at Tvsu.Engine.Process.HelloProcess.Start()

Message: Data to be set in the Environment Manager to use with Quest:

QOS (Quest OS): Windows 7

QOSLang (Quest language): EN

MTM: 422225M

at Tvsu.Engine.Task.Task.Start()

I can see the MTM as 42225M ... unsure of that?

So im not sure here .. I cant add a 422225M into Update Retriever as it only wants a 4222 and likewise with the 7359, could this be the discrepancy?

MY server share is full of packages .. so they have downloaded them .. and they exist ..

09/02/2010 04:11 PM <DIR> 5cjy63usa

11/03/2010 03:22 PM <DIR> 5cjy66usa

11/04/2010 11:14 AM <DIR> 5jjy50usa

09/02/2010 04:10 PM <DIR> a1chp06us17

09/02/2010 04:04 PM <DIR> a1mie01us17_ps2

09/02/2010 04:14 PM <DIR> a1mie01us17_usb

09/02/2010 04:04 PM <DIR> a1par08us13

09/02/2010 04:12 PM <DIR> a1rau07us17

09/02/2010 04:11 PM <DIR> a3amt09us17_heci

09/02/2010 04:11 PM <DIR> a3amt09us17_lms

11/04/2010 11:14 AM <DIR> b2vdo11us13

11/04/2010 11:17 AM <DIR> b2vdo11us14

....etc

So i think the crux of this is a mismatch between what it thinks it is ... and what it actually is .. but how i nut that out is evading me at the moment.

time to dilute coffee with water

Any help on this would be awesome .. thanks

time to dilute coffee with water

Any help on this would be awesome .. thanks

Looks like water did the trick! .. splash that on a few machines and im off home!

NAH .. two things ..

i was only checking for Critical Updates with a -C

and im an idiot with Update Retriever .. gotta set all packages from test to Active

Thanks for letting me rant

Looks like water did the trick! .. splash that on a few machines and im off home!

NAH .. two things ..

i was only checking for Critical Updates with a -C

and im an idiot with Update Retriever .. gotta set all packages from test to Active

Thanks for letting me rant

hehehe, nice to see you got it working :-) the status "test" is a fun one, done the same a couple of times ;) In the settings change that the default is not test but active.

hehehe, nice to see you got it working :-) the status "test" is a fun one, done the same a couple of times ;) In the settings change that the default is not test but active.

Just when i think its all ok .. I SWEAR IT WAS WORKING, but now its dead in the ass.

Ive spent all day trying to narrow this down.

In short, works fine when the OS (Win 7 x86) is up and running

Doesnt work in the TS

With the 422225M I had to whack an ethernet driver on the boot image because it needed it. Which is the only driver in SCCM.

I tried out the .NET framework suggestions mentioned above, but I just noticed the version mismatch. (didnt work for me anyway)

Whats concerning me is the statement in the log ---

"The database file wasn't found, or is not valid in \\PTHSVRSCCM01\Drivers_Lenovo\ message:The specified network name is no longer available"

Which is a load of rubbish .. the server is there and stable, and the xml file is there, and it works outside of the TS

Ive tried it on IP

Ive tried it on different models of lenovo

Ive tried batch filing it

Ive tried packaging it

Im about to try a red hot poker in its eyeball ..

I cant believe its giving me such a hard time .. and i definately saw it work once .. but ive made so many changes ..

any light would be fantastic.... (partial logs below)

Update Log from c:\ThinInst\logs

Error 1:

Info 2010-11-09 , 05:31:16

at Tvsu.CommandLine.CommandLineParameters.SearchForUpdates()

Severe 2010-11-09 , 05:31:16

at Tvsu.Sdk.SuSdk.StartApplication()

Message: Application runs with the framework: 2.0.50727.4927

at Tvsu.Engine.DataBase.InitializeDataBase()

Error 2:

at Tvsu.Engine.Process.HelpCenterIndexRepositoryProcess.PreProcess()

Message: 'Share name' to use: \\PTHSVRSCCM01\Drivers_Lenovo\

Message: Executing the StartProcess HelpCenterIndexRepositoryProcess

at Tvt.LocalRepositoryDatabase.LocalRepositoryDatabaseManager.GetDescriptors(String shareName, String mtm, String os, String oslang, String agent, Boolean bValidateLocalRepository)

Message: Received data -> ShareName: \\PTHSVRSCCM01\Drivers_Lenovo\, Agent:

at Tvsu.Engine.Process.HelpCenterIndexRepositoryProcess.LaunchEgather()

at Tvsu.Egather.EgatherManager.GetEgatherParser(String type)

at Tvt.LocalRepositoryDatabase.LocalRepositoryDatabaseManager.GetDescrips(String shareName, String mtm, String os, String oslang, String agent, Boolean bValidateLocalRepository)

Message: No database.xml file found. The application will start searching folders for updates.

at Tvt.LocalRepositoryDatabase.LocalRepositoryDatabaseManager.GetDescrips(String shareName, String mtm, String os, String oslang, String agent, Boolean bValidateLocalRepository)

Message: The database file wasn't found, or is not valid in \\PTHSVRSCCM01\Drivers_Lenovo\ message:The specified network name is no longer available.

at Tvt.LocalRepositoryDatabase.LocalRepositoryDatabaseManager.GetDescriptors(String shareName, String mtm, String os, String oslang, String agent, Boolean bValidateLocalRepository)

Message: An exception occurred when getting descriptors from \\PTHSVRSCCM01\Drivers_Lenovo\

at Tvsu.Engine.Process.HelpCenterIndexRepositoryProcess._Start()

Message: An enception ocurred while getting the candidate updates list from the local repository

at Tvsu.Engine.Task.Task.StartExecution()

Message: An error occurred while the task: ApplicableUpdatesTask executed the process: HelpCenterIndexRepositoryProcessthe message from exception isThe database file wasn't found, or is not valid

Exception:

Type: Tvt.Helpcenter.LocalRepositoryIndexProcessor.LocalRepositoryDatabaseException

at Tvsu.CommandLine.CommandLineParameters.StartCommanLineParameters(String[] arguments)

Exception:

Type: Tvt.Helpcenter.LocalRepositoryIndexProcessor.LocalRepositoryDatabaseException

at Tvsu.Sdk.SuSdk.GetApplicableUpdates(searchingFolderDelegate spd, showErrMsgDelegate sed)

at Tvsu.CommandLine.CommandLineParameters.SearchForUpdates()

at Tvsu.CommandLine.CommandLineParameters.StartCommanLineParameters(String[] arguments)

how can I disable the Licence Agreement Window during the SCCM Deployment using PXE Boot ?

are you talking about window which prompt to accept the license aggrement when deploying win7 if am not wrong ? If so, win 7 OS which is not ultimate Edition like enterprise or someother,you will not see any prompt to ask for License aggrement until you provide the correct product key in Task sequene since Enterprise etc edition will not have Product Key(they are activated Via KMS OR MAK)

are you talking about window which prompt to accept the license aggrement when deploying win7 if am not wrong ? If so, win 7 OS which is not ultimate Edition like enterprise or someother,you will not see any prompt to ask for License aggrement until you provide the correct product key in Task sequene since Enterprise etc edition will not have Product Key(they are activated Via KMS OR MAK)

Yes, thats what I'm talking about!

We are using Win7 Enterp... I have to enter the Produkt Key in the Task Sequence "Apply Windows Settings"???

I havn't entered a Produkt Key yet. So I hope, thats the solution for my problem. :)

Will try it!

hmm.... doesnt work.... :((

In my TaskSequence I added the Produkt Key in Step "Apply Windows Settings"... Server licensing is "Do not Specify".

The Enterprise version is a MAK version!

any ideas

and the driver installation exit with an error.... but at least, all driver are installed... ?! wtf?

Just when i think its all ok .. I SWEAR IT WAS WORKING, but now its dead in the ass.

Right .. the problem with this rubbish is totally misleading error messages .. till you wake up at 3:30 am thinking .. I wonder if the permissions on the share are ok?

Too many cooks in the kitchen.

It was a permissions error on the share .. no access .. All working now!

Onto the next batch of errors now ... client errors, packaging vs2010 errors .. its endless