jeaostro

How to install Lenovo Software and Drivers with Update Retriever and SCCM during OS deployment

Question

Here is my solution for Lenovo Computers:

1.Install and configure Lenovo Update Retriever on a server. Lenovo has good guides for this where you download the software.

2.Download Thininstaller

3.Create a software package that contains the thininstaller files(my software packages is the POC0002D below, this package contains all the thininstaller files) You can download Thininstaller from the same place that you download Update Retriever.

Then do the following in the OS deployment task:

1. Under "Install Software" in the OS Deployment task, create a command line task that has the following command line:

cmd.exe /c xcopy.exe \\SCCMSERVER1\SMSPKGE$\POC0002D\*.* c:\lenovo\thininstaller\ /E /D -> With timeout 5 minutes or so.

2.Create a new command line task that has the following command line:

cmd.exe /c thininstaller.exe /CM -search A -action INSTALL -noicon -includerebootpackages 1,2,3,4 -repository \\TVSU-Server\tvsu -> With timout 120 minutes if you like to.

The computers is deployed with all the Lenovo drivers and software you specified in the update retriever software.

If you get a new Lenovo Model, just add the model to Lenovo Update Retriever and download the drivers/software with this tool.

No need to add lenovo drivers or Lenovo software to sccm.

best regards.

jeaostro

Jeff K:

check update retriver, what is the status of your updates? If they are test you should change to Active.

I have the strangest problem with this solution:

On some T410 machines, the xcopy command will fail with error code 4, followed by an error message in the same OS language as the installed OS, indicating that the error is on the computer, not within SCCM. If I run the xcopy command manually, it runs just fine. On all other models it runs just fine and is working very good and as mentioned earlier the problem just occurs on some of the T410.

The error code 4 in Xcopy states: "4 - Initialization error (not enough memory, invalid syntax, path not found)"

But none of those seems to be making any sense, since it works on other machines and the fact that its poosible to run the command manually at the same time as the TS is failing.

Any idead?

Hi all,

hope someone can help.

The Driver Update via Thininstaller and SCCM Tasksequenz is working, but is very slow. I think it is so slow because all Thininstaller log lines were pass throuh to the SMSTS.log.

It means the SMSTS.log has the same content as the Thininstaller log. This makes the task very very slow. If I run the Thininstaller manually with the same command line (without TaskSequenz), it is fast as expected.

Any ideas?

Hi All,

Firstly thank you all for your previous thread have been very helpful.

Im having the below issue and I cant seem to work out the reason why?

Below taken from log file on test machine

-------------------------------------------------

2011-06-20 , 04:00:26

at Tvsu.Gui.FlowScreens.Messages.ShowStaticMessage(String message, String title, String mastheadtext, MessageType t, Boolean check)

Message: Showing QUESTION Message: < One or more of the packages you selected to install will restart your system. It is recommended that you save any pending work. Do you want to proceed with the installation now? >

Severe 2011-06-20 , 04:00:26

at Tvsu.CommandLine.CommandLineParameters.StartCommanLineParameters(String[] arguments)

Exception:

Message: Showing a modal dialog box or form when the application is not running in UserInteractive mode is not a valid operation. Specify the ServiceNotification or DefaultDesktopOnly style to display a notification from a service application.

Type: System.InvalidOperationException

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()

at Tvsu.Gui.FlowScreens.Messages.ShowStaticMessage(String message, String title, String mastheadtext, MessageType t, Boolean check)

at Tvsu.CommandLine.CommandLineParameters.StartCommanLineParameters(String[] arguments)

Info 2011-06-20 , 04:00:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im pushing at the updates via a task sequence as we have Bitlocker enabled so the task sequence is as follows:

1) Copy Thininstaller to target machine

cmd.exe /c xcopy.exe \\SCCM01LONUK\SMSPKGD$\LON00076\*.* c:\lenovo\thininstaller\ /E /D

2) Disable Bitlocker

3) Run "Install Software" Action (this is a batch file which I packaged, command line of bat file below)

cmd.exe /c c:\lenovo\thininstaller\thininstaller.exe /CM -search A -action INSTALL -repository "\\hlpapp01prd\TVSU2" -noicon -includerebootpackages 0,1,2,3,4 -noreboot

4) Enable Bitlocker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can succesfully get SCCM to copy the thininstaller files over to the target machine, it disables bitlocker fine, and even kicks of the batch file but will not execute the install for the updates because SCCM is suppressing the below Lenovo window, so it just stops and re-enables bitlocker

"One or more of the packages you selected to install will restart your system. It is recommended that you save any pending work. Do you want to proceed with the installation now?"

I have unticked the following options in SCCM to try and resolve already

1) Program - Advanced Tab - Removed Tick from Suppress Program Notification

2) Program - General Tab - Run: Normal (changed from hidden)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the bat file work because if I run it manually it works without any issues and the popup come up you click YES and off it goes.

It just will not work via SCCM

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Thanks

Hi Dexter31,depending on the security you use on your AD you may never be able to get this working during OSD. We are CIS compiant and this will not work on our network, we have to run this after the image has completed and an authenticated user has logged onto the machine.

When you are running this on the machine manually are you using the default Administrator/local account or is this an authenticated domain account? In our business the Lenovo ThinInstaller will not work through any account unless it is a domain account and this is due to CIS (Center for Internet Security) baseline settings. I have never taken the time to go through the settings to see which one is blocking. When I test this in our test domain with no security it works and when the exact same thing is tried on our production enviroment it fails. You will need to go through the security logs of the machine the repository is on and see if this is what is blocking causing the updater to fail.

Hello

You might get this message pop up because one of you packages forces a reboot. In update Retriever look if any of the packages has the reboot type: Forces a reboot. Try to set these packages in Status Test, and run a deployment. Please let me know if it works.

Hi All,

Firstly thank you all for your previous thread have been very helpful.

Im having the below issue and I cant seem to work out the reason why?

Below taken from log file on test machine

-------------------------------------------------

2011-06-20 , 04:00:26

Message: Showing QUESTION Message: < One or more of the packages you selected to install will restart your system. It is recommended that you save any pending work. Do you want to proceed with the installation now? >

Severe 2011-06-20 , 04:00:26

Exception:

Message: Showing a modal dialog box or form when the application is not running in UserInteractive mode is not a valid operation. Specify the ServiceNotification or DefaultDesktopOnly style to display a notification from a service application.

Type: System.InvalidOperationException

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()

Info 2011-06-20 , 04:00:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im pushing at the updates via a task sequence as we have Bitlocker enabled so the task sequence is as follows:

1) Copy Thininstaller to target machine

cmd.exe /c xcopy.exe \\SCCM01LONUK\SMSPKGD$\LON00076\*.* c:\lenovo\thininstaller\ /E /D

2) Disable Bitlocker

3) Run "Install Software" Action (this is a batch file which I packaged, command line of bat file below)

cmd.exe /c c:\lenovo\thininstaller\thininstaller.exe /CM -search A -action INSTALL -repository "\\hlpapp01prd\TVSU2" -noicon -includerebootpackages 0,1,2,3,4 -noreboot

4) Enable Bitlocker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can succesfully get SCCM to copy the thininstaller files over to the target machine, it disables bitlocker fine, and even kicks of the batch file but will not execute the install for the updates because SCCM is suppressing the below Lenovo window, so it just stops and re-enables bitlocker

"One or more of the packages you selected to install will restart your system. It is recommended that you save any pending work. Do you want to proceed with the installation now?"

I have unticked the following options in SCCM to try and resolve already

1) Program - Advanced Tab - Removed Tick from Suppress Program Notification

2) Program - General Tab - Run: Normal (changed from hidden)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the bat file work because if I run it manually it works without any issues and the popup come up you click YES and off it goes.

It just will not work via SCCM

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Thanks

Are you selecting MS updates too in the Update Retriever because these updates cannot be used as they need manual input. I remember that I had a driver issue, I think it was Intel Pro nic drivers that rebooted the computer when the TS was still running.

Hi There"

I receive the same error code in TS Failed to run the action: Run thininstaller. Incorrect function. (Error: 00000001; Source: Windows), but install the Lenovo Drivers no problem, but in task sequence ask for a reboot,and it doesn't and there is pop up saying Windows require reboot.