anyweb

How can I use the Upgrade Task Sequence in System Center Configuration Manager (current branch) ?

ok and is it that step, Upgrade Operating System (laptop) that's running or the next one, if the next one, what variable is set there ?

There is no variable set there for packages that don't need any drivers injected. That step is for desktops and they upgrade fine since I'm not passing anything.

I have found something interesting since I posted my original issue:

I added another set of drivers for another laptop. It keeps setting the location (variable) to c:\driver and not c:\driver\packageID no matter how many steps I add with the driver variable. The task sequence fails because when I pass %driver01% it doesn't see "01" because it's setting it to just c:\driver and nothing further. Maybe this has changed in 1602 vs 1511?

My next step is to just pass %driver% instead of %driver01% to see if this is indeed the case.

Strangely enough, a reinstall of the client fixed this issue. The strange part was that I wasn't seeing any other client errors other than the task sequence error, so it didn't jump out at me. Going to test on a few other models of laptop now to see if this one was just an anomaly.

Hello,

I saw a question regarding not being able to use the traditional (and already most likely pre-created driver packages) but I'm curious if rather than creating multuple "download package content" and then creating additional driver package "packages" would it work to simply create multiple "Upgrade Operating System" steps that use the normal (and already created) driver packages and base that step on a wmi query for the model?

Seems like an awful lot of work to make duplicate packages for drivers that already exist. Any idea why the normal driver package step does not work?

yes you can create multiple Upgrade Operating System steps and point to the driver package but what is the gain ? these are still driver packages, no different than before the only difference is because of the new method of installing (upgrade), a new method of installing driver packages is used (download package content),

either way works, but using the Apply Driver Package method (as used in other scenarios) does not. It is not 'upgrade' aware.

Ah OK, now I see part of the problem. It drops all the driver packages into the Root folder while I was expecting them to be sorted similar to how they are in the driver packages section in the console. Now that I see you can actually select the driver packages in that step. Makes more sense now :)

I have fallowed this tutorial to create my upgrade to the network.

I have 10 different computer models and drivers that i wanted to include in this task.

How would i achieve that ?

Create a "Download Package Content" for each computer model with the drivers and then use wmi to query the computer model and apply it ?

Thank you.