anyweb

How can I use the Upgrade Task Sequence in System Center Configuration Manager (current branch) ?

i'm having the same issue with variable names, and driver references. my TS keeps failing right after this command is executed:

Executing command line: "C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\XXX123AB\SETUP.EXE" /ImageIndex 1 /auto Upgrade /quiet /noreboot /postoobe "C:\WINDOWS\SMSTSPostUpgrade\SetupComplete.cmd" /postrollback "C:\WINDOWS\SMSTSPostUpgrade\SetupRollback.cmd" /installdrivers "C:\Drivers\XXX123AB" /DynamicUpdate Enable OSDUpgradeWindows

Some thing I noticed. So I’m sending the drivers to C:\Drivers\<package name>, but they never make it there, ever. I kept a Windows Explorer window open during the entire process this last run, and the folder never populated with anything. This is when the TS seems to be failing also.

Yet the SMSTS.log log says:

Driver package source is located at 'C:\Drivers\XXX123AB' OSDUpgradeWindows

And then later tries to execute:

Executing command line: "C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\XXX00425\SETUP.EXE" /ImageIndex 1 /auto Upgrade /quiet /noreboot /postoobe "C:\WINDOWS\SMSTSPostUpgrade\SetupComplete.cmd" /postrollback "C:\WINDOWS\SMSTSPostUpgrade\SetupRollback.cmd" /installdrivers "C:\Drivers\XXX123AB" /DynamicUpdate Enable OSDUpgradeWindows

I was able to solve it by changing the "C:\Drivers" location to "C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\"

I watched the upgrade process via the SMSTS.log and saw it was downloading the drivers and claiming it was putting them in the specified folder "C:\Drivers", but it wasn't actually populating that directory. So I went and moved it to the other location, and it worked.

Hi anyweb,

I know this is a few months old post but wanted to try and see if anyone here can help. I am having the exact same issue as noahw86 where the directory is not being created during the "Download Package Content" step. I specified the directory as indicated on this tutorial but the directory does not get created and the driver content looks like it gets downloaded within the default task sequence directory. So when the "Upgrading Operating System" step runs it fails since I'm indicating the variable %Drivers01%. I attached a screenshot of my smsts.log below to show you the executing step and how the variable is not being changed.

Could this be a bug within 1602?

post-1-0-62881500-1486471510.png

I'm sending 2 smsts.log to you via message. The first log is for one laptop that was successful using the method that noahw86 provided and the second smsts.log shows a failed attempt to inject drivers that I just tried to do. Not sure why the log shows the "drivers01" for the driver location instead of the actually indicated directory within my TS.

Can you see why the OSD process is not changing the directory as specified?

ok those two logs don't give me enough info, the smsts.log (not the good one...) is missing most of the info we need to see the real failure,

the log has probably rolled over, you need to increase the size of the smsts log file in windows....

try this....

Create a new Run Command Line action as the first action in the task sequence by clicking Add / General / Run Command Line, in the new Run Command Line action, set the name to Change CCM Logging options and then add the following command line:

cmd /c REG.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CCM\Logging\@GLOBAL" /v LogLevel /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f & cmd /c REG.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CCM\Logging\@GLOBAL" /v LogMaxHistory /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f & cmd /c REG.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CCM\Logging\@GLOBAL" /v LogMaxSize /t REG_DWORD /d 5242880 /f

do that

capture the new smsts.log (or smsts*.log), email the logs to me and let's see what they tell me

from the logs you emailed to me, here's your problem

Setting the custom destination variable 'Drivers' to 'C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\'

it should be Drivers01 as per the blog post (step 6), read it again and follow it exactly.

Hey anyweb,

I just tried a few test and I believe I figured out what was my initial problem. I re-imaged a PC with Windows 7 and it had the old SCCM client, 5.00.8239.1000 installed. My site server is currently at 5.00.8458.1000. As soon as I upgraded the test PC to 5.00.8458.1007, the upgrade took place and the directory changed to reflect the 'c:\drivers' variable. Now I my smsts.log are showing the appropriate executing command line.

Thanks again!

• Like 1