anyweb

How can I use the Upgrade Task Sequence in System Center Configuration Manager (current branch) ?

Attempting to build a TS to upgrade our various Win10 machines to 1703, but when I try to go through the Add Operating System Upgrade Wizard it fails when adding the path to the extracted install files. I've tried pulling the files from a couple of different ISOs of 1703, and just keep getting this error message.

I've ensured the permissions for the logged in admin account as well as the machine account to the 1703 directory are set to full. I even tried pointing it to an ISO, but that obviously failed to. Any help? Does it matter that the install file under Sources on the ISO is an ESD now instead of a WIM?

error.JPG

Oh, should probably also mention my PSS is on separate hardware from my DP, but didn't think it would matter as long as the path was correct.

On 8/18/2017 at 7:25 PM, ogeccut said:

Just ran in place upgrade TS. 1703 after upgrade is not usable, have anyone seen this?

Upgrade2.png

upgrade1.png

Upgrade.png

wow, maybe you need Windows 10 v 1703 specific video drivers for that hardware ?

Hi there,

I really hope you can help. I am completely stuck but cannot believe I am the only one with this issue.

I deploy a Windows 10 custom image that was created using en-US media but is deployed with an en-GB unattend.xml file. When I deploy the Windows 10 the locales are all in en-GB. Of course when I deploy the latest feature update as a Windows 10 Servicing Plan or as an Upgrade Task Sequence the locales go back to en-US as the default and en-GB as the secondary. This must be because the media is en-US. If the away I can force the locales to maintain or revert to en-GB rather than en-US.

I have looked at your guides and I cannot find a en-GB language pack to follow your guide with.

I hope this make sense and I hope you can help.

Calvin

Thanks for posting this guide!  It helped me quite a bit.  I wanted to see if you could help me add something for those of us that are deploying this to multiple models and only have driver packages available for some of the models.

I tried duplicating the "Upgrade Operating System" step and adding a Task Sequence Variable check on both.  I renamed one to "Upgrade Operating System - with Drivers" and the Task Sequence Variable condition is Drivers exists.  I renamed the other "Upgrade Operating System - No Drivers" and the Task Sequence Variable condition is Drivers not exists and I removed the driver content reference for that step.

It seems to run the "No Drivers" step every time though.  I'm guessing the Drivers variable created in the package content steps doesn't qualify as real Task Sequence Variable.  Any chance you could help me with the logic on my situation?  Is there a cleaner way to do it so I don't have to add an "If Any" and list out all the Models again for the "with Drivers" step?

The drivers portion of this guide for an upgrade worked great...however...

I successfully upgraded some computers to Win10 v1803 and deployed the drivers using your variables.  That part worked, but one of the drivers, specifically, the video driver, did not activate/get assigned. The issue with Win10 v1803 is that the Intel video cards need the newer 24.x driver to work properly (6th and 7th gen processors) in that build of Win10.  The video driver shows an exclamation point since it is in error.  When I use the device manager wizard to search the c:\drivers folder for updated drivers, it says the one installed is the best.  However, if I say "choose driver...", it shows that the new 24.x driver is in the system and I can then select this. It now installs no problem and all is well via this manual process.

Do you know of a way to force the driver to install on upgrade?  I ask because my end users are not local admins and therefore will not be able to follow the driver install/upgrade steps for this video driver. That means IT support will need to touch every computer.  Well...you understand how much of a pain that can be.

I also created packages to push driver updates as TS. The only one I could get to work properly for all drivers (specifically NIC and Video) was to use the method of dpinst (old article LINK). The other (newer) process using PNPUtil was unsuccessful.  Note, the driver upgrades in these methods are for already deployed OS's and not OSD or OSD Upgrades.

Thoughts on how to improve or force update drivers on deployment?

The Kaby Lake processors.  Currently, I am seeing this on the HP 840G4, x360 1030G2, and 800G3.

The driver repository shows the newer drivers listed, but doesn't seem to force activate them...well, at least for the video driver.