anyweb

How can I use the Upgrade Task Sequence in System Center Configuration Manager (current branch) ?

I'm sending 2 smsts.log to you via message. The first log is for one laptop that was successful using the method that noahw86 provided and the second smsts.log shows a failed attempt to inject drivers that I just tried to do. Not sure why the log shows the "drivers01" for the driver location instead of the actually indicated directory within my TS.

Can you see why the OSD process is not changing the directory as specified?

ok those two logs don't give me enough info, the smsts.log (not the good one...) is missing most of the info we need to see the real failure,

the log has probably rolled over, you need to increase the size of the smsts log file in windows....

try this....

Create a new Run Command Line action as the first action in the task sequence by clicking Add / General / Run Command Line, in the new Run Command Line action, set the name to Change CCM Logging options and then add the following command line:

cmd /c REG.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CCM\Logging\@GLOBAL" /v LogLevel /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f & cmd /c REG.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CCM\Logging\@GLOBAL" /v LogMaxHistory /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f & cmd /c REG.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CCM\Logging\@GLOBAL" /v LogMaxSize /t REG_DWORD /d 5242880 /f

do that

capture the new smsts.log (or smsts*.log), email the logs to me and let's see what they tell me

from the logs you emailed to me, here's your problem

Setting the custom destination variable 'Drivers' to 'C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\'

it should be Drivers01 as per the blog post (step 6), read it again and follow it exactly.

Hey anyweb,

I just tried a few test and I believe I figured out what was my initial problem. I re-imaged a PC with Windows 7 and it had the old SCCM client, 5.00.8239.1000 installed. My site server is currently at 5.00.8458.1000. As soon as I upgraded the test PC to 5.00.8458.1007, the upgrade took place and the directory changed to reflect the 'c:\drivers' variable. Now I my smsts.log are showing the appropriate executing command line.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

that's an interesting result if it's true, thanks for the info

yes of course you can

Attempting to build a TS to upgrade our various Win10 machines to 1703, but when I try to go through the Add Operating System Upgrade Wizard it fails when adding the path to the extracted install files. I've tried pulling the files from a couple of different ISOs of 1703, and just keep getting this error message.

I've ensured the permissions for the logged in admin account as well as the machine account to the 1703 directory are set to full. I even tried pointing it to an ISO, but that obviously failed to. Any help? Does it matter that the install file under Sources on the ISO is an ESD now instead of a WIM?

error.JPG

Oh, should probably also mention my PSS is on separate hardware from my DP, but didn't think it would matter as long as the path was correct.

On 8/18/2017 at 7:25 PM, ogeccut said:

Just ran in place upgrade TS. 1703 after upgrade is not usable, have anyone seen this?

Upgrade2.png

upgrade1.png

Upgrade.png

wow, maybe you need Windows 10 v 1703 specific video drivers for that hardware ?

Hi there,

I really hope you can help. I am completely stuck but cannot believe I am the only one with this issue.

I deploy a Windows 10 custom image that was created using en-US media but is deployed with an en-GB unattend.xml file. When I deploy the Windows 10 the locales are all in en-GB. Of course when I deploy the latest feature update as a Windows 10 Servicing Plan or as an Upgrade Task Sequence the locales go back to en-US as the default and en-GB as the secondary. This must be because the media is en-US. If the away I can force the locales to maintain or revert to en-GB rather than en-US.

I have looked at your guides and I cannot find a en-GB language pack to follow your guide with.

I hope this make sense and I hope you can help.

Calvin

Thanks for posting this guide!  It helped me quite a bit.  I wanted to see if you could help me add something for those of us that are deploying this to multiple models and only have driver packages available for some of the models.

I tried duplicating the "Upgrade Operating System" step and adding a Task Sequence Variable check on both.  I renamed one to "Upgrade Operating System - with Drivers" and the Task Sequence Variable condition is Drivers exists.  I renamed the other "Upgrade Operating System - No Drivers" and the Task Sequence Variable condition is Drivers not exists and I removed the driver content reference for that step.

It seems to run the "No Drivers" step every time though.  I'm guessing the Drivers variable created in the package content steps doesn't qualify as real Task Sequence Variable.  Any chance you could help me with the logic on my situation?  Is there a cleaner way to do it so I don't have to add an "If Any" and list out all the Models again for the "with Drivers" step?

The drivers portion of this guide for an upgrade worked great...however...

I successfully upgraded some computers to Win10 v1803 and deployed the drivers using your variables.  That part worked, but one of the drivers, specifically, the video driver, did not activate/get assigned. The issue with Win10 v1803 is that the Intel video cards need the newer 24.x driver to work properly (6th and 7th gen processors) in that build of Win10.  The video driver shows an exclamation point since it is in error.  When I use the device manager wizard to search the c:\drivers folder for updated drivers, it says the one installed is the best.  However, if I say "choose driver...", it shows that the new 24.x driver is in the system and I can then select this. It now installs no problem and all is well via this manual process.

Do you know of a way to force the driver to install on upgrade?  I ask because my end users are not local admins and therefore will not be able to follow the driver install/upgrade steps for this video driver. That means IT support will need to touch every computer.  Well...you understand how much of a pain that can be.

I also created packages to push driver updates as TS. The only one I could get to work properly for all drivers (specifically NIC and Video) was to use the method of dpinst (old article LINK). The other (newer) process using PNPUtil was unsuccessful.  Note, the driver upgrades in these methods are for already deployed OS's and not OSD or OSD Upgrades.

Thoughts on how to improve or force update drivers on deployment?

interesting we havn't seen it yet, what hardware/model are you seeing the problem on ?

The Kaby Lake processors.  Currently, I am seeing this on the HP 840G4, x360 1030G2, and 800G3.

The driver repository shows the newer drivers listed, but doesn't seem to force activate them...well, at least for the video driver.

I was getting "The specified path does not contain a valid operating system or you do not have permission to access it. Specify a valid path."  when I was attempting to add the image from \\CM01\Sources\OSD\OS\OSUpgradePackages\Windows10x64\1809.

The reason why I was getting the error is because the image file was install.esd. Apparently, the process requires a wim file, not a esd file. I used the following to convert the esd to wim. https://theitbros.com/convert-windows-esd-file-to-windows-wim-file/

After ensuring that the wim file was in the \\CM01\Sources\OSD\OS\OSUpgradePackages\Windows10x64\1809, the Add Operating System Upgrade Package Wizard completed.

Edited by Kugell

I need some help with this please. Cannot get the drivers to install with the WMI query.

Evaluating an AND expression    TSManager    2019-02-28 09:39:15    5496 (0x1578)
Evaluating a WMI condition expression    TSManager    2019-02-28 09:39:15    5496 (0x1578)
Expand a string: root\cimv2    TSManager    2019-02-28 09:39:15    5496 (0x1578)
Expand a string: SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE “HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC”    TSManager    2019-02-28 09:39:15    5496 (0x1578)
Error enumerating WMI instances returned from WQL query. 
Invalid query (Error: 80041017; Source: WMI)    TSManager    2019-02-28 09:39:15    5496 (0x1578)
Failed to evaluate a WMI expression. Error 0x(80041017)    TSManager    2019-02-28 09:39:15    5496 (0x1578)
Failed to evaluate an expression. Error 0x(80041017)    TSManager    2019-02-28 09:39:15    5496 (0x1578)
Failed to evaluate an AND expression. Error 0x(80041017)    TSManager    2019-02-28 09:39:15    5496 (0x1578)
Failed to evaluate an expression. Error 0x(80041017)    TSManager    2019-02-28 09:39:15    5496 (0x1578)
Error 0x80041017 in evaluating the condition for the action (Download Drivers for HP 8200)    TSManager    2019-02-28 09:39:15    5496 (0x1578)

If I remove the query it goes through. My TS is deployed to Windows 7 test machine, upgrading to Windows 10 1809.

Untitled picture.png

your query is incorrect

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE “HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC”

try replacing it with this instead

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE "HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC"

also, are you sure that the computer model is indeed HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC ?

Full WMI code for these is definitely "HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC"

However I think you might have other problems with this model further down the line. They are ancient!

Hello,

thanks for the post.

I could not see the backup folder. I mean I scheduled updates and something broke. I checked everywhere on my primary site but i am not able to find it.

Please guide me.

Regards

DJ

I mean I scheduled updates and something broke. I checked everywhere on my primary site but i am not able to find it.

Please guide me. 

is your post related to using an Upgrade Task Sequence in ConfigMgr or something else ? if it's something else then please raise a new topic.

thanks for the reply.

I followed the guide form the link below, i created rhe upgrade package and TS. I deployed it on my test machine and it completed the upgrade and do some post tasks and then machine stuck in restart loop. it pops up dell logo and restart again.

Thanks

ok well if it's restarting over and over it's probably missing drivers, did you apply any driver package for that model during the IPU task sequence ?