matt1234

Querying driver packages

Question

Hi,

Our current Task sequence for the Surface pro devices has been working great for sometime. Now with our entity moving towards Windows 10, I'd like to just add on the driver package step in my task sequence to get the needed driver package at it's desired OS.

Currently, I have one driver package for Surface devices with all drivers and firmware as shown in the tutorials provided from here. My current WMI query for identifying the device is the basic " Select * From Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE "%Surface Pro 3% " Which works fine for when you have two different generations of Surface Pro devices. With our WIn10 migration coming up, I've gone ahead and imported the Win 10 driver package into SCCM, but I need to find a find a better way to query the two different driver packs. Otherwise the TS will install both packages to the system, defeating the whole point...

So, my question is-

What is the best way to query the driver packages for the same device but each being guided at a different OS? (we need to keep both packages present for the time being)

By OS? - with the builds of windows 10 changing every 8 months, how will this(if at all) affect my query?

Any suggestions or wake up calls is always appreciated!

2 answers to this question

I think I got it...

Surface Pro 3 Driver Packages:

- Win 8.1 (x64) Queries:

- " Select * From Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE "%Surface Pro 3%" "

- " Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE Version like "6.3%" AND ProductType="1" AND OSArchitecture = "64-bit" "

With those added, this should allow the TS to identify which package to use depending on the desired deployed OS.

Does this look correct?

Have you put all the drivers into the same package?

Better practice is to split driver packages by OS and Revision. Example my client has Dell Laptop "A". DellA has various drivers. One batch of drivers were released in 2015 (lets call those v1.0), then 1 year later another batch (v2.0) was released for the same model. If you put them all into a single package how will you differentiate between old and new drivers? Get my point? Separate packages give you better control about how they are installed.

Same goes for Operating system. Id DellA has windows 7 drivers and windows 10 drivers, how do you differentiate? Youre then at the mercy of sccm and hoping it choose the correct driver. A better approach is split your driver packages by OS so when you add them into your task sequence, you can specify in the query to install if Model is like DellA and OS is like Windows 7.

Hopefully that makes sense