TechWiz

Deployment of Capture Image

Hello,

This is my first post on this site and I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm using SCCM 2012 R2 and I was able to capture a Windows 7 Enterprise image from a reference PC for testing. I then deployed that image as a task sequence to another PC. My question is, why both PCs now have the same product ID under Windows Activation? Every other PC on my institution has a different license/product ID for each system. Do I have to use the build and capture guide instead?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by TechWiz

Firstly I wouldn't capture a physical PC, capture a VM, this way you can deploy the captured wim out to multiple models of systems without having to worry about driver contamination, create model specific driver packages and attach to the sequence with WMI queries for the different models.

Do not activate the custom build prior to capture, use a run command line to execute the activation.

If you can build and capture then yes this is the best solution for creating your custom wim for mass deployment.

What about the Windows updates? I'm trying to create a hybrid image which will contain most software applications and Windows updates on it. I just want to help speed up the process as suppose to wait for all the Windows updates to be applied after the imaging process has completed. Thank you for your prompt reply Rocket Man.

You can use the update scheduling model built into SCCM.

Basically it injects the windows updates into your custom imported image.

For you applications either create an application or package for them and attach to Task sequence at OSD time.