anyweb

How can I use servicing plans in System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) to upgrade Windows 10 devices ?

Have you guys seen this? https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2017/01/09/why-wsus-and-sccm-managed-clients-are-reaching-out-to-microsoft-online/

MS now recommend not to set the defer updates GPO as it causes dual scan issues with machines getting update via the internet, see also https://support.microsoft.com/help/4010155

Maybe I should mention that our Clients are receiving updates usually from a different WSUS which has nothing to do with the SCCM. Could this may cause the problem?

yup, that's your issue, they need to be managed by ConfigMgr and whatever sup or sup's you are using

• Like 1

yup, that's your issue, they need to be managed by ConfigMgr and whatever sup or sup's you are using

Thank you. I hoped that won't be a point. So I will switch to a tasksequence-based update process because the existing WSUS won't be replaced. :(

Great guide!  I hope you can offer some help though. 

I was able to follow these steps and upgrade two test VM's I setup with 1507 and 1511 to 1607 no problem.  I added two production computers to the same collection as the test VM's, but they will not upgrade.  They receive the advertisement and download the upgrade but fail installation.  The error message is "The software change returned error code 0x80070002 (-2147024894)."  I've researched this to learn that the file is not found but when I look in the ccmcache folder, it's there.  I've checked UpdatesHandler.log and UpdatesDeployment.log but nothing pops out to me.  Any idea why this is happening?

Error.png

On 3/29/2017 at 8:41 PM, ogeccut said:

I am a bit confused about step configuring Updates in the servicing plan.

When i  click on "Preview" i do not see any information:

What have i missed?

Thank you

servicing.jpg

In "Software Update Point Components Properties" Upgrades classification and Windows 10 product must be selected.

It think there's a simple typo: Use "Enterprise" instead of "Enterprice" ...

Hopefully that works for you - I'm struggeling with "Required=>=1": If I select "Required=>1" no Upgrades are shown, if I deselect it a list of Upgrades appears in the Preview.

Kind regards,

Thomas

Hi all.

Thanks for the awesome write-up.

I followed the guide and all worked well, except my client also receives no updates/upgrades whatsoever. I even deployed the update directly, completely ignoring the Servicing Plan - but nothing happens on my client.

All that I did notice was that the SUP is now added to my registry. I was on Microsoft Updates before.

The SCCM is 1610 and I'm trying to deploy Windows 10 1703.

Can anyone help? Any logs I can scan?

Thanks in advance.

David

Hey,

just followed the guide and created a service plan for the 1703. 

But one thing confused me: How can I defer (or disable at all) the feature update installation by windows / microsoft update online. According to that technet article the defer windows update gpo is not the correct way as it will enable Windows Update for Business (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2017/01/09/why-wsus-and-sccm-managed-clients-are-reaching-out-to-microsoft-online/). How can i defer feature updates by Windows/Microsoft update without disabling any other Windows/Microsoft online update service (like the store)?

Greetings,
Jan