Jump to content


Sign in to follow this  
wanderer

Problem upgrading from 1511 to 1602 – stuck Checking Prerequisites

Recommended Posts

I installed 1511 on Windows Server 2012 R2 with SQL 2014 on the same server. All working OK. I noticed that the update to 1602 was showing in “Updates and Servicing” so started the Pre-req check. It never finishes, nothing is written to the c:\ ConfigMgrPrereq.log or to the cmupdate.log. Things I’ve tried, running the console as administrator – no difference. Using the serviceconnectiontool in offline mode to download and import the update – no difference. Leaving it over-night, no difference. Removing the service connection point role and re-adding it – no difference. Choosing “Install Update Pack” – only difference is that it shows “Installing” for about 5 minutes and then gets stuck at “Checking Prerequisites”. For about 15 minutes the “Windows Module Installer Worker” process is very active and then it stops.

 

In all these cases if I click on “Show Status” the only that’s listed is the update package for 1602 saying that “Content Replication Succeeded”. Going to “Show Status” on that shows nothing.

 

I’m doing this on a test server in Vsphere with a snapshot taken before trying to apply the update – I know this isn’t supported but as it’s all on the same server I thought it should be OK.

 

If I run the pre-req check manually from the .exe in the EasySetupPayloadfolder then it passes, takes about 5 minutes and it does write to the configmgrprereq.log.

 

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I had the same issues. In the end i just left it overnight in frustration, low and behold it completed without issue and with all relevant log files updated. dmpdownloader.log, ConfigMgrPreReq.log and CMUpdate.log. No idea why it hung, just have to play a patience game as you do with most things SCCM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I think this was down to my having the Configuration_Manager_Update service running as Local Service rather than as Local System. I'd changed it earlier to try and get the update to show up and then must have forgotten to change it back. Once back as Local Service it worked OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had another 1511 environment that would just not upgrade. (this was after my post above regarding being patient) It hung at "Installing" although it was doing nothing.

 

So i tried to install it the old way.....via install files that download to the EasySetupPayload folder. Failed, wouldnt run.

 

Resolution - Copy the contents of the EasySetupPayload folder to the another drive and run it, worked just fine. This was after logging a support case with MS who basically didn't know what was causing it, they gave me the OK to try this method. So it is supported I suppose. Anyway i have no issues with this environment after running the upgrade this way. It'll be one im noting for future reference thats for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

 

Now same thing happened again while doing upgrade from 1602 to 1602. 1 cas and 2 primary sites content replication succeeded while on third primary site it stuck at replicating content from past 16 days. Nothing in logs, they were old logs nothing is happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...