Westy182

Installing Adobe Accrobat Reader DC during OSD of Windows 10

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies if this should be in a different forum. The problem i'm experiencing is only during OSD so I thought this forum was best suited.

I am after some help with my Windows 10 OSD which includes an application of Acrobat Reader DC 15.010.20060. If AR is installed via an OSD task sequence it installs fine but when a user logs in they will find that Edge is the default PDF reader. If AR is installed whilst a user is logged in eg. via software centre, then this successfully sets AR as the default PDF reader. This wasn't a problem on the old version of AR with Windows 7 or 8.1 so for some reason Windows 10 won't set AR as the default PDF reader when installed during OSD.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and have any solutions?

Cheers,

Westy.

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies if this should be in a different forum. The problem i'm experiencing is only during OSD so I thought this forum was best suited.

I am after some help with my Windows 10 OSD which includes an application of Acrobat Reader DC 15.010.20060. If AR is installed via an OSD task sequence it installs fine but when a user logs in they will find that Edge is the default PDF reader. If AR is installed whilst a user is logged in eg. via software centre, then this successfully sets AR as the default PDF reader. This wasn't a problem on the old version of AR with Windows 7 or 8.1 so for some reason Windows 10 won't set AR as the default PDF reader when installed during OSD.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and have any solutions?

Cheers,

Westy.

Did you create the adobe reader customization wizard? If not, you can set the adobe as "default" reader. I use Applications instead package and works fine.

let me know...

As stated above, try the adobe customisation tool first. If that doesnt work the solution lies in the method sccm uses to image a machine. Sccm uses the "system" account and not a user acclunt during osd. Therefore, any "user level" configuration done by adobe when installing via osd are lost.

Theres a trick to this, and that is by editing the default user registry which ensure anyone who uses that machines get the customisation, in your case that would be having adobe as the default pdf reader

Ok, so I used the customisation wizard and set "Make Reader the default PDF viewer". I also added a dummy reg key in so that I could see that these settings were actually applying during install. I packaged it up and tested in a Windows 10 OSD but Edge is still the default for .pdf files. This must be a bug in Windows 10 because this problem doesn't occur in Win 7.

If anyone on here has a Windows 10 Task Sequence could you please test this for me and let me know if you have the same issue?

Ok, so I used the customisation wizard and set "Make Reader the default PDF viewer". I also added a dummy reg key in so that I could see that these settings were actually applying during install. I packaged it up and tested in a Windows 10 OSD but Edge is still the default for .pdf files. This must be a bug in Windows 10 because this problem doesn't occur in Win 7.

If anyone on here has a Windows 10 Task Sequence could you please test this for me and let me know if you have the same issue?

maybe.. but whats the order to install the applications? in the ts... try to install the adobe reader at last....

Cheers for the suggestion ZeZe.

I've tried the application as the very last step of the TS before it reboots to the login screen and still no luck.

I've also noticed that when doing a Windows 10 In-Place Upgrade from a Windows 7 machine that has Acrobat Reader already installed and set as the default pdf reader that Win 10 still sets Edge as the default.

The sure fire way is just to edit the file associations in the registry. Win10 is probably forcing edge to associate itself with pdf. You just need to change that. Bear in mind, if the reg entry resides under HKCU you will need to load and modify the defult user registry during the task sequence. Quite simple. Also check edge to make sure there are no setting in it that are making it the default pdf viewer