Phred

Collection Variable Question

Hello all -

I would like to start using Collection Variables but have a question about how SCCM knows which collection to use.

I have a school site that the tech wants a different homepage for the three browsers for the library computers.

Normally I would advertise the TS to the a collection that has all of the schools computers so the tech can always image the computers. If I create a collection for the library computers and create a collection variable for the library collection do I need to deploy the TS to the library collection as well?

Since the library computers are in both the all school computer collection and the library collection how will SCCM know which collection it is apart of? And will it know to get the library collection variable so it can check it in the TS and deploy the proper software?

Thanks,

If i understand you correctly you could always point the part of the TS that changes the homepage to a computer name so if they are called lib-01 for example you could do lib-%

Well of course I could use the computer name. Why that didn't pop into my head I don't know. I know I can do a wmi call. But was wondering how I would use _SMSTSMachineName? Going back over the smsts logs I don't see a variable being set with that name. I see "machine name" in the log files.