Robbie Wallis

Deploying Virtualized Applications

Question

I've got this working and I'm failing to see the downsides? The application seems to download itself the once to the clients PC still and runs as fast or even faster than an installed App. So what is the downside to virtualize every application? (apart from the initial overhead of creating every package)

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Robbie

1 answer to this question

Well, according to a comparison of a dutch IT company between: Local, App-V, ThinApp and XenApp:

• The bootup times are higher. Local apps start at least 2x faster but thats depending on the application size.
    For this I have the feeling that they also calculate the downloading time, but I'm not sure.
  • Memory usage of virtualized applications are higher. The most draining one is ThinApp, Local & XenApp use the least memory
    Memory usage is up to 42,6%
  • CPU usage

In their comparison this is the order from Fastest to Slowest: Local, ThinApp, App-V, XenApp

Memory junkies, low to high: Local, XenApp, App-V, ThinApp

One of the downsides is that you don't have shell integration for applications like TortoiseSVN, 7-Zip, Winrar, Winzip etc.