anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 10 with MDT 2013 Update 2 integrated with System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)

I have made a previous successful MDT TS this way, but when I tried to make another new one, I get the following error:

Can I get some direction on how to resolve this?

Thanks

Started processing.

Creating boot image.

Copying WIM file.

Mounting WIM file.

WIM file mounted.

Setting Windows PE system root.

Set Windows PE system root.

Set Windows PE scratch space.

Adding standard components.

Adding component: winpe-netfx

Error while importing Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Task Sequence.

System.ServiceModel.CommunicationObjectFaultedException: The communication object, System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel, cannot be used for communication because it is in the Faulted state.

Server stack trace:

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.ThrowIfFaulted()

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

at INewBootImage.Create(String platform, String scratchSpace, String[] components, String[] extraContent, String wimFile)

at NewBootImageClient.Create(String platform, String scratchSpace, String[] components, String[] extraContent, String wimFile)

at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.SCCM_ImportTaskSequenceTask.DoWork(SmsPageData smspageData, Dictionary`2 data)

I went back through and re-created everything from scratch using Windows 10 1607, MDT 8443 and ADK 1607 and everything is working now.

• Like 1

I cant seem to find the following folder?

what file is MDT looking for? How was WinPE 10 x64 added? 

for Specify a boot image package to use, select the second option, create a new boot image package and browse to a previously created empty folder UNC path which contains a folder matching the version of WinPE and the Architecture of the boot image you are about to create, eg:

\\<ConfigMgrServer>\Sources\OSD\boot\WinPE 10 x64

On 3/14/2017 at 11:59 PM, su5577 said:

I cant seem to find the following folder?

what file is MDT looking for? How was WinPE 10 x64 added? 

for Specify a boot image package to use, select the second option, create a new boot image package and browse to a previously created empty folder UNC path which contains a folder matching the version of WinPE and the Architecture of the boot image you are about to create, eg:

\\<ConfigMgrServer>\Sources\OSD\boot\WinPE 10 x64

MDT is not looking for any files. 'WinPE 10 x64' is a folder that was created to store the new Boot image that is being created by the MDT Wizard. At this step you just need to fill in the UNC path.

I am stuck on PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout error. I have been following all of the steps listed as I setup my new CM 1702 and everything seems to be working but I cannot get PXE Boot to work. I double checked that option 66 and 67 are set on the DHCP server and that there isn't a firewall blocking. I even went so far as to install a graphical TFTP client on both my own workstation as well as on the server. I attempted a simple GET command and it results in a connection failed. Something seems to be blocking TFTP but there isn't much to go on. The SMSPXE log seems to indicate that WDS is starting properly so TFTP should be starting with it and TFTP seems to be the only thing listening on port 69 of the server. Is there anything else anyone can suggest for me to check?

Thanks,
Chris

I found my issue after a ton of searching. This thread (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/a1246f62-6a8a-482b-9323-7e02dfeab196/wds-tftp-errorcode-1460?forum=winserversetup) had the answer. I was getting a TFTP error 1460 which is a timeout and it turns out that a limitation in the block size for files being transferred via TFTP was what caused my issue. This seems like the kind of thing that others would run into so I will post the actual change.

On the PXE Boot DP/MP you need to make a change to the following registry key and then restart the Windows Deployment Service in the Services MMC snap in.

Location:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\WDSServer\Providers\WDSTFTP
Name: MaximumBlockSize 
Type: (REG_DWORD) 
Value range: 512–1456 
Base: (Decimal)

I have experimented with 512 and 1024 block sizes and they both seem to work however my guess is that 1024 will produce faster results when imaging. I am pulling my first image for Windows 10 using PXE Boot but unfortunately I don't have a local DP setup to handle the files so the whole process is being strung out through my WAN. I hope to get a test DP in my location later today so that further testing can move along much faster.

• Thanks 1

Can someone tell me how the actions in step #6 "install Windows Deployment Services files to C:\RemoteInstall"? 

I don't see how this is done. I've enabled PXE as instructed and the WDS service is installed and running. But I was never prompted to configure it when installing the Windows 10 ADK.