anyweb

How can I install Windows 10 language packs offline with an MDT Integrated Task Sequence in System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)

Hi... I followed this guide and had it working fine for a couple of months now (THANK YOU!). However, it has stopped working after we captured a new Win10 1607 WIM. From what I can tell in the logs, the language pack installs fine. The unattend gets updated properly. However, in the Windows setup log file, it tells me that it can't set the language because it is not installed (UILanguage is not installed in the system). So, clearly, it is not installing even though it is reporting successful. How do I go about troubleshooting the "install language pack offline" step? FYI, this is happening with all of the language packs... not just the es-MX from the screenshots below.

smsts.log showing the command completed successfully:

image.thumb.png.f5f93bff432b1f0fb8bbffb03aa11192.png

Unattend before restart for windows setup:

image.png.86692a303ca51457d98cc9969340d981.png

setupact.log from UnattendGC showing the failure to set the language:

image.thumb.png.8ab7cb2c5843f1953efd3d11ee278941.png

hmm you are using adk 1803 to deploy windows 10 1607 images ? i don't think that's supported, but aside from that, how much ram is in these computers and have you also updated the mdt integration to a newer release ? are you really still deploying windows 10 1607 it's eol in November

10 minutes ago, anyweb said:

hmm you are using adk 1803 to deploy windows 10 1607 images ? i don't think that's supported, but aside from that, how much ram is in these computers and have you also updated the mdt integration to a newer release ? are you really still deploying windows 10 1607 it's eol in November

Yeaaaaah.... Don't ask!  We did update the WinPE with 1803 ADK and also MDT integration is updated as well. The screenshots I provided are from a VM with 4GB of RAM. Does it need more than that? Anything else I can use to troubleshoot offline language pack installation?

4gb should be ok but i would put a pause before the install offline language step and after to analyze logs to see what's happening..

here's one way -

also try and move to a supported scenario, as it's impossible to say if this is because you are running unsupported right now...without me too trying it, and i don't have time, sorry

FYI, I went back to the older PE and it is still failing to install the language pack. I suspect that it's actually the updated MDT that is causing the issue. I'm testing now to verify.

Edit: Confirmed that rolling back to the older MDT and the install language pack offline is working again. So, the issue is not with the ADK but rather with MDT 8450 and Windows 10 1607.

Edited by bdudle1
added additional info
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, anyweb said:

good troubleshooting !

Thanks for the pointers...

BTW, have you tried this solution for languages with Windows 10 1803? I'm trying it and seeing the same thing I was seeing with MDT 8450 and Win10 1607... where it's not actually installing the language.