noahw86

Custom Start Menu & Metro App removal

Question

I used to have the scripts that are listed all over the web within my Win10 deployment and it worked wonderfully. But now, it's not. And i'm not sure why.

What's happening is, the metro apps are being removed, but their shortcuts i guess are staying behind.

And as for the start menu, the file is being applied to the default profile and i can open the layoutmodification.xml file in the current user location and the default user location and the contents of it match the desirable xml file on the SCCM server that's being deployed, but the start menu still looks original to a fresh Win10 install, but it also has messed up metro app shortcuts that are left behind from the apps that were removed.

Why is this?

I've included a screen shot of what it looks like now.

post-33140-0-96554100-1462286814.png

7 answers to this question

You should create a new start menu now. I had the same issue and after creating a new start menu that I applied during the OSD process, all those place holders are gone.

check here:

http://www.osd-couture.com/2014/11/windows-10-deploying-customized-start.html

https://winpeguy.wordpress.com/2015/12/09/win10-start-menu-cleanup-using-defaultlayouts-xml/

You should create a new start menu now. I had the same issue and after creating a new start menu that I applied during the OSD process, all those place holders are gone.

check here:

http://www.osd-couture.com/2014/11/windows-10-deploying-customized-start.html

https://winpeguy.wordpress.com/2015/12/09/win10-start-menu-cleanup-using-defaultlayouts-xml/

Hey, thanks for the response!

Unfortunately, I've already tried creating a new one (using the commands below) on a VM and then using that same created file, it still doesn't work :\

Export-StartLayout C:\Temp\layoutmodification.xml

and i also read that import needs .bin files so i have also tried

Export-StartLayout C:\Temp\layoutmodification.bin

i just learned why i was getting the error i was getting about invalid file type, i was trying to run it on win 10 version 10240

i was trying to apply it to a WIM though that i mounted. it still causes weird stuff like shown above in the screenshots during the OSD, on 1511

What's the best way of doing this? I've created so many new XML files with the export cmdlet and attempted to implement them into my OSD TS in SCCM and it still doesn't work at all.

I'm not getting my predefined layout in my profile when i log onto my VM with the freshly imaged computer.

We have a build and capture task sequence as well as a deploy task sequence.

Because I'm super paranoid, I have put the same task in both:

Create a package with your LayoutModification.xml file
Create a group toward the end of your imaging process called Image Customizations
create a Run Command Line step called Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass and use this command: powershell.exe -command "Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass"

create a Run Command Line step called "Set Layout" and use this command: powershell.exe import-startlayout -layoutpath LayoutModification.xml -mountpath $env:SystemDrive \ and make sure that it uses your customization package

Again, I'm super paranoid and I don't trust anything to work properly. (Measure twice - cut once, am I right??)

I hope this helps a little.