anyweb

A deeper look at the Upgrade task sequence in System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)

7 minutes ago, anyweb said:

you should use whichever version matches the os you are deploying

did you edit the powershell script in any way ?

No, the script is downloaded from your link, unzipped and pasted in the package folder.. I re-attach it here.

I´m trying to do an inplace upgrade for 1709 x64, so i picked the ServiceUI and WindowHide from the x64 folder.

WindowsSetupCompatibilityScanResults.zip

what version of MDT did you use for that ?, if you use teamviewer i can connect and take a look at your setup if you want

1 hour ago, anyweb said:

what version of MDT did you use for that ?, if you use teamviewer i can connect and take a look at your setup if you want

We are running 6.3.8450.1000, however I do belive it's working now..

While addding the steps to my task I was following your guide in the .docx you have published here. In that guide it says 

Step 2. Create a package

On your ConfigMgr server, in the sources share, create a folder called Windows setup compatibility scan results and place the WindowsSetupCompatibilityScanResults.ps1 PowerShell script in the folder. Locate, select and copy both windowhide.exe and ServiceUI.exe from the Sources\OSD\MDT\MDT2013u2\Toolkit\Tools\x64 folder as shown below.

But in the guide here in the forum it says

Step 2. Create a package

On your ConfigMgr server, in the sources share, create a folder called Windows setup compatibility scan results and place the WindowsSetupCompatibilityScanResults.ps1 PowerShell script in the folder. Locate, select and copy ServiceUI.exe from the Sources\OSD\MDT\MDT2013u2\Toolkit\Tools\x86 folder as shown below

So i replaced the ServiceUI.exe x64 with the x86 and that seem to have fixed it..I also removed the windowhide.exe, will I need it?

Anyways, thanks for helping me out and keep up the good work!

Sorry to revive such an old post. I followed the guide and the WindowsSetupCompatibilityScanResults.ps1 script run and shows the results that it is supposed to, however, the variable WindowsSetupCompatibiltyScan never gets set. What could be wrong?

hi Kevin,

don't be sorry, i'm happy to see you using it, can you please attach your smsts*.logs for me, you can scrub data from them first if you want

I'm trying to get this to work in my lab, and I looked through the powershell script: WindowsSetupCompatibilityScanResults.ps1
Line 20 has this:  write-host $logstriing
Should that be changed to write-host $logstring?

Also, 

C:\Windows\sysnative\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

does not seem to be a valid path on any of my test machines?
I'll have to do some more testing.

-Jannis

Edited by Jannis Jacobsen

yes well spotted, probably a typo in $logstriing...

as regards sysnative, try changing it to

C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

6 hours ago, anyweb said:

yes well spotted, probably a type $logstriing...

as regards sysnative, try changing it to

C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

I got it working here with %windir%\System32\....
Guessing the x64 ServiceUI.exe does not have the virtual mapping for sysnative.
I guess the x32 version would work fine, but I like to use x64 on x64 systems, so this change is just fine :)
Thanks for a great solution by the way :)

This looks to be the perfect solution for upgrading our computers to the newest version of W10 on systems with both English and Norwegian System UI as default :)
If you happen to be in Oslo anytime, I'll buy you a beer :)

-Jannis

Edited by Jannis Jacobsen
  • Like 1

I did some more tweaks, and I've gotten it working with scconfigmgr modern driver management.
So before applying the correct upgrade image, it downloads and stages the proper driver pack for the computer model, and during the upgrade, it will also install the current drivers for the model.

Pretty slick solution

-Jannis