vincelewin

Boot Images issue.

Hi all, I hope you are having a great day.

I need some advice please, please bear with me this might take some explaining.

I am trying to capture a windows 10 image.

First up I created the task sequence and am using ADK10 1511.

The build was successful and then the laptop reboots to capture but I get the error in the log “Initializing hardware devices” with the error: “Windows PE initialization failed with error code 0x80220014."

I found the article about the ADK10 1511 boot images and the associated fix, https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configmgrteam/2015/11/20/issue-with-the-windows-adk-for-windows-10-version-1511/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3143760

I followed the fix and imported the new boot image, I added the drivers I was using on the previous boot image and tried to boot a laptop.

Now I have a laptop that PXE boots but doesn't show the cutom jpg I assigned on the customization tab and doesn't give me the command prompt upon pressing F8 even though I have enabled command support, eventually the laptop just reboots.

Ive added some screen shots.

Does anyone know where I should go from here?

Thanks for any help/advice

Vince

post-19661-0-49425500-1463653446.png

post-19661-0-03409800-1463653451.png

post-19661-0-72274000-1463653454.png

Did you change the task sequence to use the new boot image that you added? Check your reference software for that task sequence and verify if everything is correct. Otherwise you might not applied correctly the patch :)

Hi Zeze. Thanks, I did follow the instructions to the letter.

I had left the old version deployed too.

It looks like un-deploying that has resolved my issue.

Thanks

• Like 1

I have seen the same thing as vincelwin.

When you have multiple deployments with different boot images deployed to a computer and PXE boot, it choose one boot image. If you then select a task sequence with a different boot image, it will restart your computer and load into that boot image. But this is not 100% safe there is no guarnatee the first boot image have the correct drivers for the specific model you want to deploy

Do anyone know what criteria SCCM / WDS choses which boot image to use with multiple deployments?

here is a brief from the smspxe log

Client boot action reply: <ClientIDReply><Identification Unknown="0" ItemKey="16781236" ServerName=""><Machine><ClientID>GUID:aaa58477-fccf-4d18-babd-452c5397bce9</ClientID><NetbiosName/></Machine></Identification><PXEBootAction LastPXEAdvertisementID="" LastPXEAdvertisementTime="" OfferID="BRK200A2" OfferIDTime="5/20/2016 2:40:00 PM" PkgID="BRK001A0" PackageVersion="" PackagePath="http://YOURDPNAME/SMS_DP_SMSPKG$/BRK00161" BootImageID="BRK00161" Mandatory="0"/></ClientIDReply>
SMSPXE 5/24/2016 11:52:37 AM 2808 (0x0AF8)
00:15:5D:64:8A:05, A67763BA-C065-4F16-B2A5-0E3712709BEE: found optional advertisement BRK200A2 SMSPXE 5/24/2016 11:52:37 AM 2808 (0x0AF8)
Looking for bootImage BRK00161 SMSPXE 5/24/2016 11:52:37 AM 2808 (0x0AF8)

So to break it down you can see it first recognizes the client as ResourceID 16781236 and then pulls the server to see if any advertisements are deployed to that resource. It finds one named BRK200A2 and looks to that advertisement to see what boot image it is set to use which is BRK00161 for the boot image. It then proceeds to send the download path and downloads the file.

I'm not sure if that helps you much but its pretty easy to read through in the logs.

I have found though that if I deploy the X64 boot image to just one task sequence, every new build boots initially with the x64 image and then downloads the x86 boot image, the one assigned to most task sequences, and tries to boot it but fails.

I have to remove the x64 boot image from the task sequence when I am finished and everything goes back to normal.

The only thing I have needed x64 for is to build my windows 10 image.

This is because you are using the ADK that has this issue (10.0.58610.0)... if you patch the boot image things will be ok...

Not sure if this is aimed at me or Garrett but I have patched the image and it still exhibits this behaviour.

Like I said I just un-assign the 64bit after I finish and everything goes back to normal.