anyweb

How can I display custom messages in a task sequence using PowerShell in System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)

Thanks for this solution. Very nice. The best part is not having to change the script to create a different message! Has been great for win10 upgrades to notify users of low disk space and vpn connection.

thanks !

you don't need serviceUI.exe to display messages in WinPE, it's only needed while you are in Full Windows, so when you are in WinPE, simply remove the serviceUI.exe references in your task sequence step

Need help, I´ve followed your manual and I got error 0xffffffff on run command step. I don´t have timeout selected. Is there anything else what  I can check? Thank you.

@already solved by adding proper path to powershell.exe file in Win10. Thx

Edited by Dwarf
  • Like 1

Hi, I can't thank you enough for this.

Since I am fairly new to SCCM, a hiccup I encountered was to make sure when I do this in WinPE it must be after Format and Partition Disk. Else I will be receiving the "failed to resolve the source for sms pkgid hr=0x800700a1"

Hit and miss actually.  It sometimes can't find the ServiceUI.exe on the thumb drive, which is odd.  We found a all-in-one script that uses .NET calls to do what ServiceUI.exe is doing, and seems to work consistently from offline media.  It may be something else we're doing wrong, so don't take this as criticism of the example you posted.  It's very nice indeed!  The script I'm referring to is at https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Prompt-for-a-computername-6f99fa67

Niall,

I was hoping this was the answer I was looking for but not quite there. Inside of my task sequence I'm running a powershell file that is calling DISM.exe . When it calls DISM.EXE it does show show me a status of the drive capture it just shows its "Running action: Dism" until it's done and the only way to check status is seeing if the file is growing the in the mapped drive. Do you know a way to display a progress bar for something like this?

Task: Run Powershell Script

File:  capturedrive.ps1

Code:      M:\scripts\dism.exe /Append-Image /CaptureDir:C: /ImageFile:"M:\$FileName" /Name:"$Date" /ConfigFile:M:\scripts\wimscript.ini /ScratchDir:"$ScratchDIR"

Thanks in advance.

the easiest way would be the same way i do in this post about enabling bitlocker on hyperv virtual machines back before they had a virtual TPM

and here's what i mean

image.png

it does involve using a cmd prompt to show the progress though...