anyweb

How can I display custom messages in a task sequence using PowerShell in System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)

11 hours ago, abnranger67 said:

Thanks for the nice tutorial, but unless I am missing something, seems this is for the user to click in the software center. What I am looking for is something that will automatically popup during deployment. By the way, I would like to use this with MDT. Any tips for doing how I want to?

in the example given the task sequence is deployed as Available, meaning yes, a user must launch it to see the message,

if you deployed it as Required (be careful !) then no user involvement would be needed in software center and it would just run...

On 3/7/2020 at 6:46 AM, spoon said:

%windir%\sysnative\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

is not a valid path to PS. It probably was when the article was written.

If you use:

%WinDir%\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe

you get the blank window title and body of the message however everything works as you'd expect if you use x86 version of PS:

%WinDir%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe

I made this change "%windir%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe" as I'm using the 64 bit version

And in the script I changed "TSProgressUI.exe" to "Explorer.exe" and then it worked 

Sourced from: https://smsagent.blog/2016/02/19/prompting-the-end-user-during-configmgr-application-installs/

Hope this helps...after two years ;)

18 minutes ago, Abnranger67x said:

Hi, not sure if anyone will respond to this, but the link to the script no longer works. Can someone please provide either a good working link or the script itself? Thank you.

The link above works fine and the script is there. 

I am still getting the blank message and title. I made no change to the script, and using as shown below

ServiceUI.exe -process:TSProgressUI.exe %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -windowstyle hidden -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy bypass -File Display_Custom_Message.ps1

I deployed as required, not available, and left the option to show the progress bar enabled. 

On 5/3/2022 at 8:45 AM, AndrewSJB said:

I made this change "%windir%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe" as I'm using the 64 bit version

And in the script I changed "TSProgressUI.exe" to "Explorer.exe" and then it worked 

Sourced from: https://smsagent.blog/2016/02/19/prompting-the-end-user-during-configmgr-application-installs/

Hope this helps...after two years ;)

Hi, I know it has been awhile, but hope this thread is still monitored. I am getting the blank message and title still. In your post you said the changed TSProgressUI.exe to Explorer.exe. Did you make that change in the PowerShell script itself, or on the command line section of the TS so it now reads ServiceUI.exe -Process:Explorer.exe?

Ok I figured out the issue with the blank message and title. I needed to use the x64 serviceUI.exe. I verified this by copying both architectures of ServiceUI and put them in the same folder as the script, but named each so I know which is which (ServiceUIx86 and ServiceUIx64). In the TS, I duplicated the group that holds all the steps, but set the command line so it uses the respective serviceUI, but also named the step with x86 and x64 so I can see which one failed etc. The one with the x86 presented the blank title and message, while the one with x64 showed perfectly. Now I just need to figure the method for it to auto close since I really need this for acquired deployments. Nonetheless, thanks again for the idea and tutorial for implementing this.

• Like 1