BogdanR

Upgrade to Config Manager 2012 R2 failed - Setup failed to configure SQL Service Broker

Hello,

I`m trying to upgrade from ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 CU5 to ConfigMgr 2012 R2 (and then CM 2012 R2 SP1 CU3) and during the upgrade wizard I receive the following error:

Setup failed to configure SQL Service Broker. Possible cause: Each Configuration Manager site must have its own SQL Server instance. Verify that the SQL Server instance is not in use by another Configuration Manager site

cmupg.jpg

Looking into the ConfigMgrSetup.log I see these errors:

INFO: SQL Connection succeeded. Connection: SMS_ACCESS, Type: Secure
*** IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.server_principals WHERE name='SQL02P\ConfigMgr_DViewAccess') BEGIN CREATE LOGIN [sql02P\ConfigMgr_DViewAccess] FROM WINDOWS END
*** [42000][15025][Microsoft]

[sql Server]The server principal 'SQL02P\ConfigMgr_DViewAccess' already exists.
ERROR: SQL Server error: [42000][15025][Microsoft][sql Server Native Client 11.0][sql Server]The server principal 'SQL02P\ConfigMgr_DViewAccess' already exists.
INFO: Executing SQL Server command: <IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.server_principals WHERE name='SQL02P\ConfigMgr_DViewAccess') BEGIN CREATE LOGIN [sql02P\ConfigMgr_DViewAccess] FROM WINDOWS END>
ERROR: ExecuteSqlCommand failed to execute IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.server_principals WHERE name='SQL02P\ConfigMgr_DViewAccess') BEGIN CREATE LOGIN [sql02P\ConfigMgr_DViewAccess] FROM WINDOWS END, SQL error <>
ERROR: Failed to create group for distributed view access.
~===================== Failed Configuration Manager 2012 Server Setup - Upgrade =====================

For the installation I`m using a domain administrator account with sysadmin privileges on the SQL Cluster where the CM database resides (2 nodes with Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 SP2 Standard without any Cumulative Update installed).

I also checked the compatibility matrix CM-SQL https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx and it seems that the minimum required SQL Server cumulative update is CU9 for my scenario, but I`m not sure that this is the real issue here.

Of course the CM server is not working anymore, so the only option at the moment seems to be a restore, but I would like to find out why the upgrade failed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Edited by BogdanR