NickMees

SCCM 1602 & Windows 10 1511.1 - "Failed to provision driver. Code 0x80070032" for multiple models

Question

I have problem Applying drivers for Windows 10. Have been using SCCM for several years for deploying Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and now working on a Task Sequence for Windows 10.

Server is running Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise, SCCM 2012 v1602, MDT 2013 v6.3.8330.1000, Windows ADK 10 v10.1.10586.0

I started from a duplicated working Windows 8.1 Task Sequence and disabled all applications so It's only installing Windows 10 with settings (network, etc) and installing drivers. This task sequence is working in Hyper-V in my test-lab so started capturing drivers for 2 hardware models (Surface Pro 3 and Lenovo ThinkPad T450) to start with.

During the step where it applies drivers I get on both machines the following errors :

"Failed to add driver to driver store. Code 0x80070032"

"Failed to provision driver. Code 0x80070032"

"Failed to run the action: Apply Driver Package ThinkPad T450.
The request is not supported. (Error: 80070032; Source: Windows)"

While using the drivers-folder to manually assign drivers, they all work and install the unknown devices without any problem.

I also started with a clean Task Sequence using the build-in wizard and selecting only the very minimum required items, which results in the same error.

Attached is a screenshot of both the error in the LOG-files and the basic Task Sequence. I wonder if anyone has encountered this too or can guide me in the direction where to search for a sollution.

post-26151-0-37851900-1465204457.jpg

post-26151-0-95955500-1465204826.jpg

4 answers to this question

I had this EXACT same problem. I never did find out why and the Google searches didn't come up with a workable solution. So, after more searching, I found a work around. I created a Package with a copy of the SCCM imported drivers, added dpinst.exe with an XML file to do a recursive search of the folders. (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff544842%28v=vs.85%29.aspx)%C2'> Then in my OSD TS I created a command line step to use dpinst.exe (cmd /c dpinst.exe /S /SA /SE /SW /F) and referenced the created package. I did have to set the step to Continue on error.

After doing some more investigation I started looking at the DISM.LOG (don't know why I got that brilliant idea) and noticed there is an error listed in regards to the DISM.EXE (see screenshot attached)

The version of DISM.EXE which is on the PC is v10.0.10586.0

post-26151-0-68288200-1465983521.jpg

PROBLEM SOLVED !! - Read carefully the below

The WinPE Boot image I used was the previously created one using Windows ADK 8.1. This boot-image does contains version 6.3.9600.16384. of DISM.EXE while the version from Windows 10 ADK is 10.0.10586.0. It's the version of Windows ADK 10 that is required to inject the drivers into Windows 10 during the Task Sequence as it appears to be, which I have not read anywhere.

I know that it's recommended to use the boot-image from the Windows 10 ADK to deploy Windows 10, but the main reason I did not start using that yet is because of a known bug in the Windows 10 ADK which is documented here (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3143760).

When using the out-of-box Windows 10 ADK boot image you get the following error trying to deploy Windows 10

"Windows PE initialization failed with error code 0x80220014"

I kind of hoped that there would be a fix released for this as it was a known issue for a while already, but the only wait to get around this is to manually update the boot-image by following the procedure from the above URL strictly.

I lost at least 3-4 weeks because of this, so hopefully anyone encountering the same issue will read this post and can save time.

I had this EXACT same problem. I never did find out why and the Google searches didn't come up with a workable solution. So, after more searching, I found a work around. I created a Package with a copy of the SCCM imported drivers, added dpinst.exe with an XML file to do a recursive search of the folders. ( Then in my OSD TS I created a command line step to use dpinst.exe (cmd /c dpinst.exe /S /SA /SE /SW /F) and referenced the created package. I did have to set the step to Continue on error.

But that can not be run from WinPE to offline image

To offline image (restored .wim) one would use:

x:\windows\system32>dism /image:"C:" /windir:"WINDOWS" /add-driver /driver:C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\SP100199 /recurse /logpath:"C:\temp\dism.log"