clush

How to name multiple Systems with specific names

Question

Hello Everyone,

I work in a university environment and I am trying to leverage SCCM to deploy images to our classroom computers. Here is my situtation:

I am trying to image our classrooms doing a zero touch install which is not a problem however I need to give each computer a specific name not by model, mac, serial #, etc.

I have to name each specific computer by the location of the classroom.

Here is an example:

Smart-6-W2051 . The Smart-6 will be consistant but the W2051 will change depending on the room number.

Do you know of a way to give each specific computer a unique name in one task sequence. I am thinking maybe if I had the Mac’s I could assign each mac a certain computer name with a powershell script.

I tired looking online and haven’t found anything as of yet. I can do the OSDComputerName where it will prompt you at the time of deployment or assign a random Computer name but i have no luck on what I want to achieve here.

Any thoughts or insights on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig :D

2 answers to this question

I think this will be something with a spreadsheet and the MDT database. That's your best bet.
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-7/Deploying-Windows-7-Part16.html can give you some information.

The MAC thing might be a way to go. But look into the MDT database. I think that's what you're looking for.