anyweb

How can I use Windows 10 Servicing when a language pack is installed using System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)

Bit of a necro bump but has anyone tried this with 1803?  I had to revert to running the langpack installs with dism in my postoobe script. 

The language packs fail to install during setup, and fail the upgrade. Might have something to do with how they restructured the upgrade process... Works ok from my script but I dont like how there is now a 6-8 minute wait to complete the install when the screen is sitting at "100%" status... 

The collections are empty for me. I have changed the script to reflect my languages (see below) but they do not become members.

If I query SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.OSLanguage i get : "English - United States" or "Japanese" but not the LocaleID

Am I missing something?

$Collection_1 = "SUM - Windows 10 x64 ($Windows10Version) French LP"
$Collection_2 = "SUM - Windows 10 x64 ($Windows10Version) Japanese LP"
$Collection_3 = "SUM - Windows 10 x64 ($Windows10Version) Chinese LP"
$Collection_4 = "SUM - Windows 10 x64 ($Windows10Version) Spanish LP"
$Collection_5 = "SUM - Windows 10 x64 ($Windows10Version) Mexican LP"
$LimitingCollectionName = "All Workstations"

write-host "Starting script..." -ForegroundColor Yellow

# connect to ConfigMgr
# thanks Skatterbrainz - https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/13613-how-can-i-configure-client-settings-and-install-the-configmgr-client-agent-in-system-center-configuration-manager-current-branch/?p=53923
#

Get-CmAdminConsolePath

# Create collections based on the list of collections
Create-Collections

# add some queries to our collections
$TargetCollection = $Collection_1
$RuleName = "French Language Pack Installed"
$RuleNameQuery = "select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion = 'Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 10.0' and SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.BuildNumber = '$BuildNumber' and SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.OSLanguage = '1036'"
Add-Membership-Query($TargetCollection)

$TargetCollection = $Collection_2
$RuleName = "Japanese Language Pack Installed"
$RuleNameQuery = "select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion = 'Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 10.0' and SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.BuildNumber = '$BuildNumber' and SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.OSLanguage = '1041'"

$TargetCollection = $Collection_3
$RuleName = "Chinese Language Pack Installed"
$RuleNameQuery = "select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion = 'Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 10.0' and SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.BuildNumber = '$BuildNumber' and SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.OSLanguage = '2052'"

$TargetCollection = $Collection_4
$RuleName = "Spanish Language Pack Installed"
$RuleNameQuery = "select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion = 'Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 10.0' and SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.BuildNumber = '$BuildNumber' and SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.OSLanguage = '3082'"

$TargetCollection = $Collection_5
$RuleName = "Mexican Language Pack Installed"
$RuleNameQuery = "select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion = 'Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 10.0' and SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.BuildNumber = '$BuildNumber' and SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.OSLanguage = '2058'"

FYI I found out the reason my language pack installs are "failing" is because I was hitting the 60 minute mark and the sccm client was aborting the update. It just happens that the language pack installs stretch the install time beyond 1 hour. You have to increase the max run time of each individual feature update from the console.

What a STUPID design....

Hi

We support many countries with many languages, however the max number of langs any device has is only 2.

We have been told be MS and i read above that if only the primary UI is upgraded (because in SCCM, only the Upgrade files for the primary lang is listed as an applicable update).

So how come German machines with both DE-DE installed (primary UI lang) and en-US installed still have en-US installed after the upgrade? Shouldn't en-us be removed during the upgrade? Is there an exception for en-US in which it remains on a device after the upgrade, but other secondary languages do not?

Thanks for any info.

I know this is a really old thread... but I'm struggling here trying to test this out. For our initial Windows 10 deployments, we are using an English (en-us) image and we install language packs offline and use the unnattend to set the language. Now we're trying to upgrade them using feature updates in SCCM and the method described here. However, when I deploy the Feature Update to 1909 (en-us) to these machines, they do not show in Software Center. On the monitoring of the deployment, it shows that they are compliant (even though they are still 1809). If I deploy it to an English machine, it shows up in Software Center to install. Microsoft has told me that it shows compliant because the language of the feature update is English, but the machine is in Spanish.

In using this method, do we have to deploy each language-specific feature update? Or should we be able to deploy English and have the LP stuff local on the machine with the setupconfig file?

Why has MS made multilanguage for enterprises so difficult?!?!