anyweb

How can I use Windows 10 Servicing when a language pack is installed using System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)

On 8/1/2017 at 4:46 PM, TrialandError said:

can you copy your SetupComplete.cmd to %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\ and then try the upgrade?

Okay, here's the problem I've been experiencing today.  The feature update will not install if the SetupConfig.ini file points to %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\ .  Just as soon as I removed it from the WSUS folder, it installed.  I guess the installation must read the INI file at the early stages of the deployment?

I drilled through your log file and the .ini file is definitely working as the /PostOOBE switch is correctly set to C:\Temp\SetupComplete.cmd. But obviously your custom script is not running even though the PostOOBE phase completes successfully. I am still testing on my end.

11 hours ago, MdKnightR said:

The feature update will not install if the SetupConfig.ini file points to %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\ .  Just as soon as I removed it from the WSUS folder, it installed

I apologize for not being clearer. Don't edit the setupconfig.ini file to look to %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\, leave the default settings but place your SetupComplete.cmd file in %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\ prior to the upgrade. This is a long shot and is independent of SCCM. Per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-a-custom-script-to-windows-setup, this script will run before the logon screen appears. Even in your setupact.log this file is created and runs.

I have to ask, why not just use an upgrade task sequence? You can run your script during the TS and you have much more granularity. Another option is using AppLocker to stop the built in apps from launching.

KnightSetupComp.jpg

KnightSetIni.jpg

KnightOpComplete.jpg

4 hours ago, TrialandError said:

I apologize for not being clearer. Don't edit the setupconfig.ini file to look to %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\, leave the default settings but place your SetupComplete.cmd file in %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\ prior to the upgrade.

To be clear, there is no SetupConfig.ini, or WSUS directory to put it in, until I create it.  However, I will leave out that part and just put the SetupComplete.cmd and SetupComplete.ps1 files in the scripts folder and see what happens.  It may be worth noting that the %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\ already has a SetupComplete.cmd file in it, along with a file named DisableCMDRequest.TAG (not sure if that is relevant).  Should I replace SetupComplete.cmd with my custom one, or edit existing with the additional content that triggers the Powershell script?  The existing one contains the following:

%windir%\system32\osdsetuphook.exe /execute 

4 hours ago, TrialandError said:

I have to ask, why not just use an upgrade task sequence? You can run your script during the TS and you have much more granularity. Another option is using AppLocker to stop the built in apps from launching.

I had considered it, but I have read that it might cause issues with the ConfigMgr client on the upgraded PC.  Also, we want to leverage Windows 10 Servicing for the Feature Updates, and from what I gather, you can't do both.  As for AppLocker, it just disables the apps rather than eliminating them.

are you sure it's running the scripts, for example if you get the script to drop a txt file in c:\temp to prove it ran, is the file there ?

15 minutes ago, anyweb said:

are you sure it's running the scripts, for example if you get the script to drop a txt file in c:\temp to prove it ran, is the file there ?

I haven't tried that.  I just assumed that it isn't running, because it either runs and removes the apps or it doesn't.  I can confirm that the Powershell script is a good script.  I can run it manually with elevated privileges and it'll strip all the apps out that I want gone.  I just can't seem to make it work automatically.

15 hours ago, TrialandError said:

MdKnightR I haven't forgotten about you. I had a drive fail in my lab so I rebuilt it with some SSD's. Have you had a chance to test anyweb's suggestion?

I did, but I also kinda switched gears.  I decided to try to accomplish the app removal by way of a scheduled task that runs on system start.  The task runs before a user logs in, and the txt file will appear in C:\Temp, but the apps are still there.  It doesn't make sense because  I can still run the powershell script manually to strip out the apps.