joeman1881

Win10 - HP 600 G1 - hitting a wall

Question

Hey all,

I have an issue deploying windows 10 only to these HP 600 G1 desktops. The issue is only impacting about 25% of machines, and according to my tech's they just retry a few times and eventually they will go through. We have a pretty mixed environment hardware wise, and I'm not seeing this issue on any other type of desktop/laptop. The issue appears to be that the machines don't add to the domain and instead show "No adapters found in environment". This is an issue because the remainder of my TS involves pulling scripts/software from my server using the fqdn, and of course the machine doesn't end up on the domain.

My first though was the driver package must have an issue. So I repackaged with just a NIC driver. It worked for me on my test device (that I was able to duplicate issue on prior), so I asked one of the techs to retry their lab of machines. She had 8 more failures out of about 30 machines with the same symptoms. I'll attach a screen shot of the section where I'm finding what I think is the issue, as well as the full smsts.log.

Thank you in advance!

post-23745-0-85627200-1465916481.png

smsts1.log

8 answers to this question

In what way are you controlling the drivers? are you doing the total control or just putting all drivers in a package and auto-applying?

can you post a screenshot of your task sequence?
what is the model number of this workstation?

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply! The desktop is an HP Prodesk 600 G1 SFF. I will attach a screen shot of the one driver I have in my driver package and a screen shot of the TS. I usually apply a designated drivers package prior to adding to the domain in case NIC doesn't get installed, then toward the end of the first section prior to reboot I will add auto apply in case anything was missed in the driver package. Let me know if you see something I'm missing.

This is so bizarre because in 8,000 devices I've never run into this. I'm wondering if there is something wrong in our process, or if it's just something new that I'm missing with current branch and win 10.

Another note: We have deployed 1000 plus of this exact model with windows 8.1 and no driver package. Unfortunately without a driver package, I get the same result with Win 10 deployments.

Thanks!

post-23745-0-09208100-1466004766.png

post-23745-0-66236100-1466004766.png

Ok

It's a preference thing, of course, but I usually join the domain and then apply the drivers.
Are you sure that the driver package that you're using isn't out of date? I know that in some cases, our vendor will send a model and not tell us that it has a different hardware config (vendors suck)

Instead of applying the drivers twice, you may want to add a validate domain join, which would be another Join Domain or Workgroup step.

My steps would be:

1) Partition

2) Apply OS

3) Apply Windows Settings
4) Apply Network Settings

5) Apply Drivers

6) Setup Windows and ConfigMgr

7) Join Domain or Workgroup (with the domain info in there)

8) Install the rest of your needs

First glance, the drivers that you're applying are either not for the device or are out of date and Windows thinks it has better device drivers. You can verify this by taking one of those machines that didn't join the domain and loading manually loading the nic drivers you have and if it doesn't work, then you have your answer.

Please post an update.

• Like 1

Ok

It's a preference thing, of course, but I usually join the domain and then apply the drivers.

Are you sure that the driver package that you're using isn't out of date? I know that in some cases, our vendor will send a model and not tell us that it has a different hardware config (vendors suck)

Instead of applying the drivers twice, you may want to add a validate domain join, which would be another Join Domain or Workgroup step.

My steps would be:

1) Partition

2) Apply OS

3) Apply Windows Settings

4) Apply Network Settings

5) Apply Drivers

6) Setup Windows and ConfigMgr

7) Join Domain or Workgroup (with the domain info in there)

8) Install the rest of your needs

First glance, the drivers that you're applying are either not for the device or are out of date and Windows thinks it has better device drivers. You can verify this by taking one of those machines that didn't join the domain and loading manually loading the nic drivers you have and if it doesn't work, then you have your answer.

Please post an update.

Thanks for the advice,

I'm definitely going to try the domain add verify line, as I haven't tried that before. If the machine successfully is added initially, will it realize that it's already been added in previous steps, or will it just attempt a re-add (for curiosities sake)?

The only reason I typically add my driver package prior to adding to the domain is because I've had several situations in the past where the machine (previous models) just won't add to the domain until I've added the driver package which in-turn installs the NIC driver. I have tried pulling the driver from the softpaq app that HP offers as well as their support site. The odd part is, all of the drivers are installed correctly once the OSD is complete. This is where I'm thinking your confirm step will come into play. One thing I haven't tried is downloading the latest from intel directly and confirming driver versions so I will do that as well.

Thanks again! I will be sure to update this accordingly.

Well, keep in mind that the Apply Network Settings is not actively joining the machine to the domain.

What I mean is that when that step occurs, it's not joining the machine to the domain: it's just injecting that info into the setup.xml file so that when it goes through the setup process, it will perform the step.

So, adding the drivers before you perform that step doesn't really do anything other than add drivers. The step "Setup Windows and ConfigMgr" is the one that does the dirty work.

The additional step I suggested is simply going to perform a join. If the machine is already joined, then it will exit 0. If it has to be joined, it will exit 0. If the machine can't join because of missing drivers, it will exit 1 and fail on you.

Good luck.

Well, keep in mind that the Apply Network Settings is not actively joining the machine to the domain.

What I mean is that when that step occurs, it's not joining the machine to the domain: it's just injecting that info into the setup.xml file so that when it goes through the setup process, it will perform the step.

So, adding the drivers before you perform that step doesn't really do anything other than add drivers. The step "Setup Windows and ConfigMgr" is the one that does the dirty work.

The additional step I suggested is simply going to perform a join. If the machine is already joined, then it will exit 0. If it has to be joined, it will exit 0. If the machine can't join because of missing drivers, it will exit 1 and fail on you.

Good luck.

The domain add after "Setup Windows and Config Manager" did the trick in my test. I will report back after we do a few dozen machines. Thanks for the info on the first Network Settings step. I had no idea that it wasn't adding during that step.