pembertj

SCCM/SUP Software Updates "Not Required" - WSUS shows as needed

Started seeing this issue recently. I connect to a client machine and run the SCCM software update cycles - check the updatedeployment.log and see:

EnumerateUpdates for action (UpdateActionInstall) - Total actionable updates = 0

Yet if I use Windows Update and check directly online I see about 20 updates missing from the machine. Checking in SCCM [screenshot](https://i.imgur.com/4zzxFVv.png) shows these updates are "not required" on the machine even though they should be.

The issue is pretty much the exact issue seen [here](https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/13877-software-updates-not-installed-not-required-or-are-they/) or [here](https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/13662-wsus-issues/) but checking some client machines I see that KB3065987, KB3112343, and KB3050265 are all installed (suggested fixes from these threads). The Software Update Group has 300 updates in it or so and this is happening for about 100 right now.

Has anyone else ran into this or have any ideas?

I actually ran into something similar earlier this week. Are you sure they're not already in process, and just waiting on a reboot?

For my case, it was a matter of a pending reboot. Updates targeted to machines had the reboot suppressed. They had run through installation, and were waiting for users to reboot. SCCM reporting, at that point, showed them as not required. Once these systems were rebooted, the updates started showing as installed.

I have a similar issue. Never found a solution as such but i had a few servers running sql.

For some reason sccm simply would not detect sql service pack as required on those servers (would for others). Out of curiosity, i migrated a few of those servers to a new sccm (current brnch) environment i am setting up. Lo and behold those servers were showing as requiring sql service pack.

I then migrated those servers back to the old sccm server and this time sql updates showed as required. So it seems a client side issue but cant put my finger on it. Its as if the servers arent sending all the required updates correctly to sccm. Maybe they needed the new windows update agent (that gets installed as part of new sccm agnt install)