grantd

Domain Join Issues

I'm having some issues with W10 machines not joining my domain as part of a task sequence in the Apply Network Settings or Join Domain or Workgroup steps (tried both). The ccmsetup log file doesn't show anything relevant, yet at one point, the setuperr.log file showed a NetJoinDomain failed message with error 1335 and an "unable to join" 0x54b error along with that. There weren't many other details that seemed to help find out why this error was appearing.

The domain join step takes place at the end of the Install OS group in the task sequence and after the application of drivers (which made us think perhaps they weren't ready when the domain join starts) but even adding in a reboot doesn't seem to fix the issue. Pinging the SCCM server and DC also works fine and the domain join account in the task sequence has the FQDN in front of it since I read something about DNS issues also possible causing similar errors.

Is there something I'm missing or any other steps to troubleshoot that anyone would suggest? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Grant,

It has to be the "Join Domain or Workgroup" task as the other option is a sysprep step which applies in WinPE and wont do the same task. I have mine placed in my task sequence after the SCCM client install step ...

When you fill in your Domain and OU settings then enter your username/pass does this verify correctly when you click the verify button? Ensure that a domain admin account is used here...

The only time my Join domain task has failed is when the drivers didn't apply properly, and no network driver was present.

I also recently ran into issues with this on a specific desktop that we support. The "Join Domain or Workgroup" line placed immediately after the "Setup Windows and Configuration Manager" line fixed the 25% of the machines that would fail on me. Hopefully this fixes your issues. Let us know either way.