fad632

SCCM Current Branch Questions

Hi All,

I've used this forum many times in the past and found all the answers I've needed, but I have some questions regarding 1511 and 1602 of SCCM, which hopefully you can help with.

At present our organisation has around 3000 machines which have been built and maintained via SCCM 2012 R2 SP1. All machines are Windows 7, with a couple of Windows 10 machines that I have built for testing purposes.

I began this role of looking after SCCM without any training and so my knowledge is not as great as i would like it to be.

The questions I have and granted some of these may sound stupid (so please dont laugh) are as follows:

1. We run SCCM on server 2008 R2 which I would like to get to 2012 R2 using in place upgrade, I believe this is possible after 1602 update?

2. As this will probably be completed weeks/months after upgrading to 1511, is there any warnings about upgrading to 1511, I read something about the client failing?

3. And this one is daft but this is the first upgrade I will be doing, so we currently build Windows 7 machines using SCCM, this works fine and we very rarely have issues, I'm assuming that upgrading to Current branch or 1511 means that deploying windows 7 is still the same?

4. Any recommendations for the upgrade would be super also, as this would probably be weekend work, would it be beneficial to just upgrade to 1511 and then upgrade again straight away?

Thanks

Hello,

I would suggest to sign up for upcoming virtual training with Deployment Research team, it's next Thursday and I think it's well worth money.

You can send them questions before training starts.

I did training with them 6 months ago and it was useful, now they have notes from the field and definitively useful for all of us which have Windows 10 to upgrade in enterprise.

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/windows-10-setup-and-deployment-internals-notes-from-the-field-tickets-25723298077

Other that that, I suggest to watch this free Microsoft Virtual Training

https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/deploying-windows-10-using-system-center-configuration-manager-16311?l=MqgTvxQPC_5406573942

Blaf

as regards your questions let's take them one by one

1. We run SCCM on server 2008 R2 which I would like to get to 2012 R2 using in place upgrade, I believe this is possible after 1602 update?

correct, Jorgen blogged the process here

2. As this will probably be completed weeks/months after upgrading to 1511, is there any warnings about upgrading to 1511, I read something about the client failing?

Upgrading to 1511 is a no brainer, there were some issues listed here. Why wait with the upgrade to 1602, i'd recommend you upgrade to 1511, and then to 1602.

3. And this one is daft but this is the first upgrade I will be doing, so we currently build Windows 7 machines using SCCM, this works fine and we very rarely have issues, I'm assuming that upgrading to Current branch or 1511 means that deploying windows 7 is still the same?

yes you can still deploy Windows 7 even with SCCM 1602, the ADK supports it.

4. Any recommendations for the upgrade would be super also, as this would probably be weekend work, would it be beneficial to just upgrade to 1511 and then upgrade again straight away?

yes i'd do that, as i've stated above, the only thing to be careful with is after updating to 1602 there's an update rollup for 1602, so be aware of issues with the client upgrade option discussed here.