kh1998

SCCM: "Failed to run Task Sequence. There are no Task Sequences available for this computer."

Question

I have run into a problem with my Task Sequences. I am running SCCM version 1511 (Console Version: 5.0.8325.1000). I have been deploying Task Sequences for over a year and have been deploying them to the "All Unknown Computers" collection for bare metal installs for just as long. It had been working fine. However, now whenever it gets into the Task Sequence Wizard on the machine, it fails with: "Failed to run Task Sequence. There are no Task Sequences available for this computer." and then it reboots. It pxe boots just fine. Starts the Task Sequence Wizard fine. The wizard states: "Initiating Windows PE" and "Preparing network connections". Then, "Welcome to the Task Sequence Wizard". I enter the SCCM password and immediately receive: "Failed to run Task Sequence. There are no Task Sequences available for this computer." Then, the computer reboots.

I have tried both machines that existed in SCCM and machines that were never in SCCM. It appears to be happening on all computers currently. I don't believe any account accesses have changed. I'm not seeing anything that stands out in the smsts.log file. The only changes I can think of making were attempting to create a new client package to speed up the time deployments take, but it didn't work, so I removed that client package. At the same time I also checked: "copy the content in this package to a package share on distribution points" and later when back and unchecked this. The only other thing I changed was installing the older ADK in order to create Capture Media for Windows 10. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, I would appreciate the feedback.

Thank you!

10 answers to this question

Thank you for responding, anyweb. I apologize for it taking so long to get back with you.

Here is my smsts.log. I just attempted to run the Task Sequences again. They still were not working (same error), so I took the latest smsts.log (looks the same as before). I know it states "no assigned task sequence", but I do have several Task Sequences deployed to the "All Unknown Computers" collection and they have all shown in the past.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

firstly when did you deploy the task sequences exactly ? and have you distributed both the x86 and x64 boot images to your dp's and made them pxe capable ?

I last had deployed this specific Task Sequences at 8:26am on 7/6/16. However, whenever I typically run OS Deployments using Task Sequences, I have always been able to see all of the Task Sequences that I had deployed to the "All Unknown Computers" collection in the past. Some of those deployments (which have worked fine in the past) were deployed initially as far back as 7/9/15, 7/16/15, 11/11/15, etc. They have always shown up from the list to choose from in the Task Sequence wizard and it was working very conveniently that way.

I have made certain that I have distributed both the x86 and the x64 boot images to my DP's and also made them PXE capable.

I am really leaning toward this being an issue with my Boot Images though because I had recreated them back in May in order to capture Windows 10 with the older ADK (vs 26624) and currently I have the 2 for that version, as well as, the 2 that are version 10.0.10586.0. However, today I have tried recreating the Boot Images again to see if I had something get corrupt with these and I am still not having any luck...

Unfortunately, changing the time of deployment available back to yesterday did not help.

I did find that when I attempt to "Update Distribution Points" for the two older Boot Images that I used to create the Capture Media for Windows 10 (vs 10.0.10240.16384) completed with errors when running Update Distribution Points. Do you suggest that I remove these Boot Images? Here are the errors it reported (happened with both x86 and x64):

Error: Boot image to update:

· Microsoft Windows PE (x86)

Error: Actions to perform:

· Add ConfigMgr binaries

· Set scratch space

· Enable Windows PE command line support

Error: Failed to import the following drivers:

Optional components:

· Scripting (WinPE-Scripting)

· Startup (WinPE-SecureStartup)

· Network (WinPE-WDS-Tools)

· Scripting (WinPE-WMI)

Error: The wizard detected the following problems when updating the boot image.

· Failed to install required components into the boot image

The SMS Provider reported an error.: ConfigMgr Error Object:

instance of SMS_ExtendedStatus

{

· Description = "Failed to inject OSD binaries into mounted WIM file (often happens if unsigned drivers are inserted into x64 boot image)";

· ErrorCode = 2152205056;

· File = "e:\\nts_sccm_release\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\sspbootimagepackage.cpp";

· Line = 4970;

· ObjectInfo = "CSspBootImagePackage::PreRefreshPkgSrcHook";

· Operation = "ExecMethod";

· ParameterInfo = "SMS_BootImagePackage.PackageID=\"GIS0010F\"";

· ProviderName = "WinMgmt";

· StatusCode = 2147749889;

};

I don't believe I have any drivers in my Boot Images. I don't believe I ever have. Should I?

One more thing I just realized I had changed back in May was that I was trying to get the 1602 upgrade running, but it was just hanging at the "Downloading" state for months despite trying to restart the SMS_EXECUTIVE service. I ended up attempting to manually run the upgrade and then ended up having to run an SQL command to get the state switched from "Downloading" to "Available". However, even after switching to "Available" I have not been successful at getting SCCM upgraded. The Prereq Check runs, but I never see a status change or an upgrade happen. Maybe this is something that is tied to my issue with the Task Sequences?

I'm wondering if this smspxe.log will shed any light (attached). I'm not quite sure, but it appears to me that it may have something to do with my Boot Images. I have tried several times to create new boot images (with both the older ADK and the newer Windows 10 one; versions 10.0.10240.16384 and 10.0.10586.0 respectively), but each time I attempt to use a different boot image my vm stops being able to pxe boot. Then, when I put it back to my original 10.0.10586.0 version, it will pxe boot and get back to the "No Task Sequences Available" error within the SCCM wizard.

Using the "MAC - Computers for a specific MAC Address" report I do not receive any instances of my pc in the SCCM inventory. The other pc I've been trying to image has no OS and was never in our SCCM inventory. Aside from that, this issue sounds just like the one here: http://faqshop.com/configmgr-20xx/cm07/cm07trobshoot/cm07osd/failed-to-run-task-sequence-there-are-no-task-sequences-available-for-this-computer

I have noticed in my smsts.log file that there is no name after the "Netbios Name" field, but I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

SMSPXE.log