josephwagner

Deploying Software to Multiple Computer Labs with Specific Parameters in Each

I work for a K12 school district and am working on deploying Faronics Insight to multiple computer labs. In Faronics Insight there is the ability to set a channel number for each computer lab that you are using the software in. Last year, when I deployed this software I created a collection and application for each lab and had the specific channel number in the installation program field parameters during the silent installation process. This year, I would like to avoid creating 30+ different collections and applications for each specific lab.

What would be the best way to deploy this software creating only one application and collection? So far, I am thinking if I create a PowerShell script to look at the computer name and get the room number from the name and then insert the designated channel number into the installation command line would be my best bet. Would this be a viable option?

You could use a task sequence and create variables for each option, upon validation of the hostname then tell it what command line to run for the package

That's assuming hostnames contain different identifier information