Ronvanloo

After Windows updates WSUS can't sync anymore

Hello

Last week I started to update the SCCM server with 15 Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 hotfixes. These hotfixes are release in the months April, May and June.

The installation of these hotfixes was no problem but after the reboot I couldn't synchronize any updates.

The SCCM server is version 2012 R2 CU3.

As soon as I start the synchronization I open the SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER logging. I see a message: "WSUS Synchronization started" But after 5-6 minutes I got the message: "WSUS Synchronization failed.
Message: WSUS server not configured. Please refer to WCM.log for configuration error details. Source: CWSyncMgr::DoSync. The operating system reported error 2147500037: Unspecified error"

The Microsoft updates causing this problem are: kb3161561, kb3146706, kb3149090, kb3153171.

As soon as I uninstall these updates the problem is gone and the synchronization is working as expected. I can't find anything on the internet about these hotfixes and causing problems so maybe someone can tell me what here is going wrong.

Thanks.

Ron.

I was having a similar issue on my Server 2012 WSUS and it turned out that the company that does all of our server patching for us didn't complete the after installation steps for KB 3159706 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3159706. Maybe there is a Server 2008 version of that update.

Thanks I checked ut these updates are installed on the SCCM server.

Today I did some new research:

Today I also changed the private memory pool memory, because this limit could also cause some problems. But again no solution.

It doesn't matter which hotfix I install in what order. As soon one of these has been installe,d WSUS stops working.

In the logging wsyncmgr.log I got the error: "Sync failed: WSUS server not configured. Please refer to WCM.log for configuration error details.. Source: CWSyncMgr::DoSync"

So I look in het WCM.log logging but there I don't see any errors.

Another thing I noticed is in the SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER logging. If one of the hotfixes has been installed I only see the message: "WSUS Synchronisation started" and after 5-6 minutes the error message. If no problem hotfix has been installed I see the message: "WSUS Synchronisation started" but within a second I see the message: " WSUS Synchronization in progress. Current phase: Synchronizing WSUS Server"

I only can conclude that WSUS starts up, attempts to communicate but fails.

When I go to server manager (Windows Server Update Service Role) I can start synchronisation without anty error. But again SCCM WSUS doesn't notice this.

Try removing and reinstalling the update point role. It slunds drastic, in reality its simple.

I had an issue on my SUP, just removed it in the end and reinstalled it. Takes around 24-48hours to obtain compliance information for clients.