morpheus9394

Windows 10 - Build, Capture, SYSPREP, Deploy Problems

Question

Hi All,

I wrongly assumed that creating a windows 10 image and capturing it using SCCM 2102 would be the same as it is with Windows 7.

But after a week of banging my head against the wall I am no closer.

First Attempt:

Installed Windows 10 from USB using latest version downloaded from MS.

Connected to Internet, installed all Windows updates

Connected to Domain and installed McAfee and a small selection of applications (Adobe Reader, Flash etc)

Removed from Domain and ran capture from the SCCM 2012 capture USB I created

Capture failed due to "Modern App" twitter

Tried several fixes involving powershell but no luck

2nd Attempt:

Installed Windows 10 from USB using latest version downloaded from MS.

Connected to Internet, installed all Windows updates

Removed Modern apps for all users via powershell

Captured via SCCM 2012, which worked.

Deployed the captured image and that worked fine

Using that captured image as a base - Installed McAfee, a base selection of applications as before

Captured successfully but on reboot (on captured PC or a new machine built with the deployed image) I got "Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt resume configuration, restart the computer" error message

Managed to get the machine to boot after much registry playing and removed McAfee as and captured again

Got the same "Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt resume configuration, restart the computer" error message on reboot

Very confused!!!

Our build process is very simple but trying to get Windows 10 to work with this process is causing us no end of trouble:

1 - Install OS

2 - Get latest updates

3 - Add to domain

4 - Install McAfee AV software followed by a small selection of applications

5 - Remove from Domain

6 - Capture image as WIM using SCCM 2012 capture USB.

7 - Add image to SCCM, created task sequence and deploy

The only ways I've found to get it working is by doing a in place upgrade of an existing Windows 7 build and capturing that.

Unfortunately doing a in place upgrade to Windows 10 seems to cause other issues so we wanted to create a new clean image to then roll out.

The other way we managed to get it working was by stripping out modern apps before capturing but that then causes issues with the start menu/taskbar and search when in Windows 10.

We now have group polices in place to disabled Modern apps and Cortana so there is not need to strip out the modern apps from the build.

I'm obviously missing something but after spending nearly two weeks playing, building, Googling....I am no closer to fixing this issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.

7 answers to this question

Cannot join domain, install mcafee and then disjoin...

Don't do that. leave it off the domain.

Thanks for the advice. I will try as you suggested.

Is it safe to connect to the internet and download all windows updates prior to sysprep, capture and deploy?

Is Mcafee the only software you recommended to install before connecting to the domain?

Suggestion:
Lay down the image
run a software update step

install your packages

run another software update step

install mcAfee and update the definitions

run any customization steps (branding, cleanup temp files, etc)

delete the mcafee guid

capture the image

Thanks for the replies and advice.

It seems leaving mcafee for the image (for now) did the trick.

I was able to build, connect to domain, install software and updates and then sysprep and capture the new image.

More testing needed but it seems Mcafee may need to be added to the image last if at all. Not a big deal.

Thanks again.

Here is our MDT-integrated task sequence.

(Please note that we use 1e Nomad in our environment because we have folks that image PCs all over the US and it makes it easier to get the content to them).

As you can see, we're using the MDT Toolkit and MDT CustomSettings to control a lot.

post-6175-0-04813500-1469021693_thumb.pngpost-6175-0-35123700-1469021702_thumb.png

It might be beneficial for you to recreate your task sequence as an MDT-integrated task sequence.

Morph,

Completely understand that. Been there, friend.

I know Niall has many tutorials in the other forums that might help ya. Once you get one put together that works well, you'll hardly ever touch it again.

Good luck to you!